Friday, September 02, 2011

JPX goes to Universal Studios Orlando

The Wizarding World of Harry Potter
(Attraction opened in 2010) *****



As some of you know I visited Universal Studios Orlando for several days last week. The last time I visited was when the park opened in 1991. I like to wait several years between visits to Disney in order to allow time for new attractions or entire parks (e.g. Animal Kingdom) to be created and ever since Universal has been in the news for the Harry Potter experience I have been mulling a much overdue visit. My intention was to go on every ride and see every attraction, show, etc and review it on Horrorthon over the course of several posts. I nearly achieved my goal (I never did get on that Woody Woodpecker rollercoaster) but rather than reviewing everything I thought I’d concentrate on my favorite rides.


My hotel hallway creepified courtesy of Whirlygirl

I stayed on the grounds of Universal for convenience and for two other very important reasons (1) guests are allowed into the park one hour before the public in order to gain access to The Wizarding World of Harry Potter, and (2) guests have “Express Pass” privileges, which means that I never had to wait in a line for any attraction. This is especially key. At one point, for example, I was told that there was a 10 hour (!) wait to get onto the main Harry Potter ride. Octo told me that his father once famously declared, “I don’t believe in lines” and I have adopted this phrase and sentiment and I’m willing to pay extra to avoid them.

I’ve heard a lot of hype for the new Harry Potter attraction and I was excited to gain access to it (I’m such a sucker for this type of stuff). Although I had researched the ride I was somewhat unaware of the enormity of the Universal Harry Potter experience. It is not merely a few rides but an entire “land” to explore in the Universal park.



For example, you can head over to the Boar's head pub for a serving of Butterbeer or go to Olivanders and learn how to choose a wand. There are several fun stores including The Three Broomsticks and Zonko’s. The stores are intricately designed and for a little while you will forget that you are in Florida. The stores are so popular that they are virtually impossible to get into once the park is opened for the peasants, er, the public.




A spell gone awry causes wands to shoot out of the wall

For Harry Potter enthusiasts, you will not be disappointed. Apparently $500 million was spent on this extravaganza and it shows in every detail. This is not just a few rides but a totally immersive experience into the world of Harry Potter. You could spend hours pouring over all the details, gimmicks, and “characters” without even going on the rides. But who wants to do that, right? What about the main ride? Much has been written elsewhere about “Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey”, which is the main reason people are currently heading to Universal in droves. The ride takes place inside of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, which is a vast, sprawling castle that puts Cinderella’s home to shame. So how was the ride?


JPX about to attend the Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry

Stay tuned for Part 2!

[Some of the pictures above come from micechat]

4 comments:

Johnny Sweatpants said...

Shweet! I can't wait to one day check it out. I look forward to part 2 but there was no need for a "how was the ride?" cliff hanger. I think it's pretty safe to say that the ride was also awesome.

Catfreeek said...

You really sell it, I hope Tony and I can one day enjoy it as well. It looks incredible.

Octopunk said...

Omigod, HOW WAS THE RIDE??? You're killing me!

This is pretty damn cool. I have no idea when I'll be heading that way but I hope I can avoid the peasants when I do.

DKC said...

Awesome!!! I can't wait to hear more!

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...