Thursday, September 22, 2011

I need a better system


For the past 11 months every time I have opened my desk drawer at work I have seen this crumpled piece of paper taunting me, reminding me that I’m lazy. What is it, you ask? It’s the final page of my Horrorthon film list from last year. When I watch movies for this silly contest I find myself scribbling down the film titles on any scrap of paper I can find.

Looking at this list now I see that I attempted to create a “system”. I crossed out the films I have already reviewed and highlighted what I have left. What was I going to do with the highlighted films once I reviewed them? I never got that far. It’s a terrible and confusing system and each year I’m determined to be more organized about it.

For the past 11 months I have been determined to finish my reviews. Given that we are going to start a new contest in 9 days I realize that I have been kidding myself. I’m never going to finish last year’s reviews any more than I’m going to sign up for intramural football. When I look at this list I don’t remember a single thing about any of these films. This year I am going to be more disciplined about this, damnit!

2 comments:

Johnny Sweatpants said...

You never reviewed Halloween 3!

Octopunk said...

I stick a folder for each unreviewed movie on my desktop in which to stuff screenshots or pix from the internet that pertain to the movie. The idea is I'll have all my research set up for when I'm ready to write, but unless I pull screenshots before returning a Netflix disc, the folders stay empty of content but full of guilt.

I've got eight or so folders like that from freaking 2009 on my laptop, which fortunately I don't use anymore.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...