Friday, September 23, 2011

Killdozer

(1974) **

When JPX posted his review of Killdozer last year, I was so jealous that he thought of that before I did that I ran right out to my awesome obscure video store Eddie Brandt's and snagged it. They had it on dvd, but it's a weird dvd; the old Sci-Fi channel logo is stuck in the corner of the screen and when I tried to take screenshots they came out horribly squished. Some guy on a different blog griped about the SF logo on the dvd he bought in the store, so I guess it's just plain store-bought weird.

The reason I was so hot to see Killdozer is that I saw an ad for it way back when I was a kid. Maybe this was back in 1974 or maybe they rebroadcast it, but the closing image of the spot never left me, although I would learn that I misremembered it to an almost violent degree. As I recalled, it was a man sitting in the driver's seat of some regular, non-killing construction equipment, while behind him loomed the colossal bulk of Killdozer, completely filling the frame and clearly much larger beyond it. It was an impossibly-sized orange machine, like those that feature regularly in Thunderbirds, or like one of those huge bastards in the background of Avatar:


Clearly, Killdozer lived up to its awesome name.

The closest image I could find to match my impression was this:


I don't know what this image is promoting, but that is the mechanical monster that's flitted on the peripheries of my monster-machine dreams. Huge, science-fictiony, and out to get you. While I was looking for a picture that spoke to those dreams, I found the original scary take on the idea:


And here's the inevitable Marvel Comics version, in which Killdozer actually talks:


It's important to note that in both the previous pictures, Killdozer is shown to be most effective it its victims are already lying down. The real kicker of Killdozer is, of course, the true nature of the beast:


Yes, it's a bulldozer. Apparently my young brain added a lot of gloss to the terrifying final image of the ad: it's not colossally huge, it's not science-fictiony, hell, it isn't even goddamn orange. To be fair, it is the large-sized model of available bulldozer; the guys in the movie also have a regular-sized bulldozer, so you can see that Killdozer is a good... oh, 45% bigger. Way to go.

This is hilarious for two reasons: One, it's not really all that big. Two, it's pretty damn big -- as in heavy, as in slow, as in totally able to be evaded by briskly walking away. In one scene, a guy on foot parries around in front of Killdozer, trying to escape from its lethal sphere of influence. This scene is depicted almost entirely with closeups, because even the most casual glance reveals the utterly easy gettawayability. There's one long shot, apparently deemed "still scary" because the guy stumbles, and it completely gives the game away. In addition to the beleaguered editors, it's fun to watch the cast try to talk up the (cough cough) deadly threat they're up against. At one point they put together a daring plan and hop in their non-evil vehicles and tear away... but then the music swells and the camera swings over to Killdozer hiding behind some grass watching them. Yes, somehow a smoke-spewing machine that sounds like eight Harleys snuck up on them.

JPX brilliantly included the following clip in his review. Killdozer is bizarrely exactly like this.


The other delightful aspect of this seventies TV movie is the thick, syrupy, adorable/hateful man drama. Killdozer is padded out with stoic, squinty dialogue delivered with no irony whatsoever and with musical accompaniment applied in the manner of pancake makeup.

As in Yog, Monster from Space, the real villain in Killdozer is a malevolent alien intelligence in the form of blue light, possessing and making monsters of Earth's innocent crabs, squids and bulldozers. When it transfers from the meteorite it arrived in into the hapless bulldozer, the resulting flare badly burns one of our characters, and thus begins the man drama. While the boss and the doctor-ish guy seriouly discuss Is He Gonna Make It, the other three guys in the cast get in a heated discussion about why the boss was driving the bulldozer at that moment and not the burned guy (because union rule violations make for great horror). Later we hear much wheedling about how the boss is a recovered alcoholic and how this will look on his record, and the guy in the wife-beater get tediously maudlin about the good times he's had with the burned guy on other construction jobs on remote islands. Particularly he mentions the great times they had swimming (like, a lot), crescendoing in a boozily impulsive decision to go swimming right this very second -- and then I get the image that I'd clung to all these years:


But don't worry, clearly that wouldn't be a threat unless you sat there in the Jeep for two whole minutes, needlessly paralyzed by the unsurprising appearance of the killdozer that's been occupying all of your and your buddies' attention for the last 48 hours, waiting while it heaves and clanks towards you and kills you.

Despite its undisputably awesome name, Killdozer is not good. Not good at all. But the time you have watching it, that will very possibly be good. Perhaps very good.

9 comments:

DKC said...

Hilarious! I went back and read JPX's review too - damn, you guys are funny.

Octopunk said...

Thanks. As a footnote, for gooey TV movie man drama see also Snowbeast.

Avatar screenshot courtesy of Jordan.

Catfreeek said...

I do believe your review is much better than the actual film. Great stuff and again kudos on the daily contest. I'm pumped for Horrorthon!!

AC said...

bah hah hah!!!

Johnny Sweatpants said...

The name and plot synopsis make it seem must-see but the man drama aspect worries me.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

This is why I need to post stuff on your site. You hit on the exact reason why these movies are great. They stick out as the example of a time I remember very well. I KNEW that KILLDOZER was on TV but went over to my new girlfriends house instead. We watched it while I tried to maneuver from the chair I was sitting on to the couch she was sitting on. Just as I accomplished that feat of mental and physical gymnastics, her dad came home and insisted we watch the end of KILLDOZER, he was an old school D&D Horror movie freak. It was all so surreal. I can't even look at a bulldozer to this day because ALL bulldozers are KILLDOZERS. I love this movie. It just has it's own kind of goofy logic and if you don't break the rules as they exist in that world, it's a lot of fun.

Abduscias said...

Looks much better than the silly Mangler!

JPX said...

I love your review, Octo! If I learned anything it is that I must acquire that Marvel comic book! What I love about Killdozer is that it would be so EASY to evade this sluggish menace. Your best bet would be to wade into the lake waist deep and you'd be perfectly safe. Killdozer!

Octopunk said...

Omigod I may have to sign off with "Killdozer!" on everything I write from now on. Holy shit that's funny.

Regarding the man drama, JSP, what you'll notice the most about it is how easy it is to just fall under its spell and watch without feeling like you're losing time. It's a heavy approach, but oddly comforting.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...