Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Slithis

(1978) **
I spotted this poster in some store in San Francisco when I was a kid, and it struck me as so cool that I drew pictures of some cool space-lizard guy called Slithar for weeks. Had I actually seen this movie I might've dropped the whole thing.

Slithis is another Monster Made By Pollution movie (I don't know how this theme happened, I swear it wasn't on purpose). Deaths are occuring along the canal in Venice, CA, and it's up to a charmless high school journalism teacher to get to the bottom of things.

Eventually a guy in a fat rubber suit makes a few appearances. Charmless talks with a number of Venice Beach street people and eventually befriends a token black guy who will be the Robert Shaw characer. Together they...do some things in a boat or something.

If the filler in Frogs was like good pancakes, the filler in this movie was like that time late one night when you went to make cinnamon toast, but it turned out you were out of sugar and butter and cinnamon, but you did have some confectionary sugar so you made the toast anyway. The opening scene is two kids playing frisbee, for no apparent reason in slow motion. Lots of completely random unattractive people grace the screen for far too long. Much of the footage is too dark to see.

Then this guy shows up:

He's the skeptical chief of police, and it was obvious that this actor spent most of his stage time as a crazy medieval monk or Igor-like assistant or hunchback or court jester. Because not only did his performance consist of bizarre twitches and sweeping arm movements, he also had a weird accent like a villain from a Sid and Marty Krofft show.

Some fun to be had watching the flat line readings and continuity errors, but best skipped. I'm gonna need to watch a good movie soon.

6 comments:

JPX said...

You win the prize for posting the funniest pictures so far! I love that second picture, he's the ultimate doofus. You also win the prize for watching movies I've never heard of. I think you're in need of some quality horror.

Whirlygirl said...

I don't think either of these guys could find there way out of a paper bag let alone save the day.
The first guy looks like he could have the wool pulled over his eyes pretty easily, and Igor because he thinks he's a little smarter, could be sent on a wild goose chase from here to timbukto looking for magic beans.

Julie said...

I can't believe Octo left out the BEST part, which was when this professor dude was explaining the whole Slithis phenomenon (see, it's protoplasm and and exoskeleton plus radiation that makes it able to take any form of anything near it), and he had a beer in his had in one shot, and then cut away, and back to him: no beer! That professor downed that whole beer in mere seconds! Or at least, that's the line they should have looped in to accomodate for bad continuity.

This movie looks like it had a budget of $44 dollars.

I had to go to sleep around the time the charmless teacher was interviewing some vagrant dude near a boat. I think I'm going to start reviewing the portion of movies I can stay awake for.

DKC said...

I'm trying to figure out who the charmless teacher reminds me of...but can't put my finger on it. Maybe I'm just thinking of every guy in the 70's.

ps - now I want cinnamon toast.

Johnny Sweatpants said...

That pic of the chief is great. He's either being sooooooooo sarcastic or else he's out of his mind.

Charmless! Ha! That's the best nickname I've ever heard.

Sarah said...

Hahahaha the toast description...SO TRUE and very amusing metaphor. On a super interesting tangent I wanted to make cinnamon cookies the other day, but didn't have like half the ingredients, but made them anyways as there were no cookies in the house! They taste like yummy cinnamon rocks. Totally worth it!
And you definitely don't want to qvetch with the second guy :D

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...