Friday, October 02, 2009

Halloween 2 (2009)



*1/2

Picking up where the first film ends, the victims are being loaded into amulances, bloodied up and sobbing. Michael Meyers' corpse is loaded into a van, driven by two men who like to talk about sodomizing corpses - guess what ends up happening to them. After a chase sequence at the hospital, we fast-forward a year to the main characters' efforts to cope with the trauma from the first film. Laurie is becoming more rebellious and reliant on prescription medication. Dr. Loomis is even more materialistic, trying to promote a book about last year's horror. But of course, as the one-year anniversary of the killings approaches - Halloween day - Michael Meyers returns to finish what he started.

First of all, it took some effort to wait until October to see this movie. I saw it last night, where in all of San Diego, only one theater was still showing it, for two showings a day. I was also distracted by the fact that a couple had taken their two young children to see this film on a school night. Seriously, these kids were like 6 and 8. Who would do that?!? Seeing these parents trying to shush their kids when they were frightened by the loud noises and blood was the real horror! But, I digress.

Rob Zombie continues what he started in the first Halloween re-make by digging deeper into the character of Dr. Loomis and Michael Meyers. It's less successful in this film though, because Loomis' development is less tied to Michael than his own interpretation of horror. And, Meyers' character development (difficult to convey since his character never speaks), is protrayed in a very artsy manner, complete with his mother dressed in white, accompanied by his ten-year-old self, and occasionally, a glowing white horse (don't ask).

Thus, while some of this is interesting, it is not scary, nor really even that shocking. Many of the scenes feel tacked on to stretch the running time (we don't need to spend 8 minutes on Michael's murder of hicks in a random pasture) and efforts to provoke sympathy for the character really put a damper on trying to make him scary. The ending has a nice little twist which provoke the viewer's interest - enough so that I'll probably make an effort to see Halloween 3-d, already announced for next summer.


4 comments:

Johnny Sweatpants said...

Glowing white horse? What is this, Twin Peaks?

*1/2 seems pretty harsh based on the review.

Trevor said...

Whenever you're watching a movie, and you spend more than a few moments wondering to yourself, "why am I here?" "Why am I spending time watching this? I could be doing that laundry right now", then there's no way you can give it two stars or more.

JPX said...

I heard this was bad but I'm so disappointed to hear that it's really, really bad. Zombie continues to puzzle me - he gets everything right except the story. Sigh.

Nice review!

Of course I still have to see it.

Octopunk said...

I was thinking about doing a full Rob Zombie horror movie roundup this year but I don't think I have the stamina.

By the way I went on a surprise trip to the East Coast this weekend and I haven't watched a single horror movie yet. I'm in the middle of a long layover right now. Sigh.

And I think I heard JSP's computer tanked on him and he can only post from work. Sigh again.

Nice to see the lesser-heard-from Trevor (Tami's Friend) is taking up the veterans' slack.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...