Monday, October 12, 2009

Kowai-onna (Unholy Women)


(2006) ***1/2/****/**1/2

This film contains three segments, three non related stories. So I will review each segment separately. This film is not available on video I became obsessed with finding it last year after seeing a picture from the second segment. I had to find it just to satisfy my own curiosity and it wasn't an easy one to find at the time either.


The first is called “Rattle Rattle” which is the story of a woman being terrorized by a really scary and evil looking ghost.


If I ran into this ghost I would probably have a coronary. This woman is horrifying. Not a typical pasty faced Asian ghost but a real terror with pure evil in her facial expressions. The ghost is constantly there too, the poor woman can get no peace. Great opener for this film.


Though I was not completely blown away by the first segment, the second one titled “Steel” is a total mind fuck. A man is asked by his boss to take his sister out on a date. When he arrives he finds that his date's bottom half consists of sexy legs, a mini skirt and red pumps. However, the top half is contained in a large sack. He takes her out anyway and proceeds to have the most bizarre date of his life.


The sack person is so fucking disturbing that I have to put this right up there with “Deadgirl”. The poor dude is trying to act normal with her but you can clearly see he is consumed with curiosity. She gets upset with him at one point and tears up his apartment. All I can say is that my eyes were glued to the screen the entire time, half with disgust and half with intrigue. Though the film is not readily available I did just stumble onto a site that has this segment in full available to watch, see it here if you like.


The final segment is called “The Inheritance”. A woman returns to her home town with her son. They must both deal with a family history of emotional and physical abuse with some supernatural terror thrown in for good measure.


This is not totally without it's merits but it pales next to the other two stories. You genuinely feel for the boy. He's been taken from his normal life and brought to the vacation from hell. He literally spends the entire time running and hiding in fear while trying to figure out why his Mother has suddenly become a complete lunatic. Also, the old lady in the film just gave me the creeps every time they showed her, she's insane.


So glad I was able to find this film, it was well worth the search.

6 comments:

Octopunk said...

Sounds tasty! So which was the picture that hooked you so bad?

And where did you wind up finding this?

JPX said...

This sounds great and reminds me of the anthology film "Three", check it out when you get a chance!

Catfreeek said...

Octo~I found it here

JPX~Do you mean Three Extremes?

Catfreeek said...

Oh and the picture that piqued my curiosity was the one of the bagged chick walking past the wall. I just kept thinking what the fuck is going on here!

DKC said...

I'm very curious to know if she ever comes out of the bag!?!

Catfreeek said...

Aaaahhhh DCD that's exactly what drew me in.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...