Monday, October 12, 2009

Trick 'r Treat


(2007) ****

The last review for this film was spot on. Quick re-cap of the plot: four intertwined stories all taking place on Halloween night in a little Ohio town that LOVES Halloween. Four girls looking to party, a group of kids investigating an old Halloween legend, an old codger trying to avoid trick-or-treaters, and a local school Principal trying to dispose of a disgusting local kid.

Everyone needs to go see this movie. There are a lot of creepy/quasi-scary parts, that make you unsettled, but only for a moment. The comedy is simple, and doesn’t resort to the boring one-liners we normally see on sitcoms. The characters are well-sculpted, despite the fact that there are so many, and the running time of the whole thing is only 80 minutes.

This film was apparently complete in 2007, and just made it to dvd on October 6th. I can see why, as I’m sure those involved with its production believed that it could be successful if given the chance for a theatrical run. And, perhaps it could have. Regardless, this is one straight to dvd film that is far better than most that are released theatrically. Everybody rent this. Seriously – let’s get everyone to watch it, and have like 12 reviews of the same movie. We could make up an award for the most reviewed film!

Or not.

5 comments:

Johnny Sweatpants said...

I want to rent this one but Netflix won't let me!

AC said...

same here- "short wait" sayeth netflix!

Octopunk said...

That's weird. 50 had a copy from Netflix that we watched Saturday night (which means, Trevor, that you're two more 'thonners closer to your goal).

Despite the fact that I wanted Let the Right One In to sweep this year, I can't think of a better alternative than Trick 'r Treat.

JPX said...

I like this so much that I purchased it the other day! It's a perfect "Halloween" film and I anticipate watching it many times in years to come.

Octo, Whirly and I watched Let the Right One In!

Catfreeek said...

I have Let the right one in queued.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...