Saturday, October 03, 2009

[REC]


(2007) ****


A female reporter and her cameraman go on a ride along with some firemen. They all end up being locked in at an apartment building where some seriously crazy shit is going on. The people are becoming infected one by one with a virus that turns them into crazed zombie like killers. Yes, this is the original Quarantine.



I had no idea “Quarantine” was a remake until I found this gem. This original is a Spanish film and I have to say we did a hell of a job copying it. Even the lines are pretty much verbatim. I do think this version was a bit scarier because it had more raw emotion, Spanish people do angry and panicked really well. Also, the scenes really looked real. One of the firemen bashes a lady in the face several times and it just looks and sounds so damn real, I cringed. I also thought the final scenes were much scarier. Without giving up too much I'll just say you can't fake that kind of skinny. Freaky flick, I only wish I had seen this one first before watching the remake.

7 comments:

Catfreeek said...

I just re-read JPX's review from last year of Quarantine and he states in it that it was a remake. Don't know how I missed that.

JPX said...

REC 2 is getting good reviews. I liked Quarantine but I was hesitant to watch REC because it was shot on video. Based on your review I'll check it out.

Whirlygirl said...

Sounds good.

JPX said...

Whirlygirl, that picture of you just plain creeps me out. I hope I don't ever wake up one night with you hovering over me and looking like that!

Trevor said...

Rec was an awesome film! Just saw it a couple weeks ago. And not to sound too arrogant, but if you know ANY Spanish, even if you only made it through a couple years of high school spanish - watch it without the subtitles - it kind of adds to the confusion and feeling of helplessness that the film tries to convey.

On a separate note, quarantine is a great re-make of this film, and if you haven't seen that one, it is also worth your time.

DKC said...

Sounds great! I'll add it to my list.

Octopunk said...

Somehow I missed that Quarantine was a remake too. When I was reading the very beginning of your review I thought you'd made a mistake in the post title.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...