Thursday, October 15, 2009

To Let


(2006) ***

The second in the 6 films to keep you awake series. A couple go to check out an apartment for rent but wind up meeting the most horrible landlady in the world. They become trapped in her house of horror, fighting to find a way out.



At first the woman seems quite nice, she reminds me of Anne Bancroft. Her demeanor takes a rapid dive and in no time I realized she was purely insane. I mean that in the best possible way, she's one of those characters I simultaneously love and hate. Her spontaneous and inappropriate fit of laughter was a golden moment in the film. This was the flip side to “The Baby's Room” and I was again pleased with the result. I'm hoping the rest of the series stands up to these two films.

4 comments:

JPX said...

"6 films to keep you awake" sounds like a terrific concept and series. The two you watched so far sound great. I've watched a bunch of the "8 films to die for" in the past and I usually enjoy them about half the time. These films are not quite good enough to be given a theatrical run, but they're better than the usual direct-to-video dreck. I'll be curious about your overall opinion of the 6 films you are currently going through.

Catfreeek said...

I'll keep you posted :)

Octopunk said...

I feel like I would've turned and fled at the first sign of that woman.

Catfreeek said...

Me too Octo, me too.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...