Thursday, March 25, 2010

Versatile 'I Spy' actor Robert Culp dies at 79


By Gary Strauss, USA TODAY

Robert Culp's leading-man looks and suave demeanor marked a varied six-decade film and television career, but he'll forever be remembered for his iconically hip '60s TV hit, I Spy.

Culp, 79, died Wednesday after hitting his head in a fall while walking outside his Hollywood home, his manager told the Associated Press.

The versatile Culp had more than 150 roles starting in 1953, including military officers, gunslingers and assorted bad guys. But the globe-trotting 1965-68 show I Spy helped make him a household name, as it did for Bill Cosby, the first African-American co-star of a TV drama series.

As Kelly Robinson, the debonair spy masquerading as a tennis pro, Culp received Emmy nominations three years straight. Each time, he lost to Cosby, whose cover was Robinson's trainer, Alexander Scott. (Culp was a gifted tennis player.)

Their characters had a sly, bantering relationship that extended off-screen. In a statement through spokesman David Brokaw, Cosby cited Culp's professionalism and enduring friendship, calling Culp "the big brother he never had."

Culp and Cosby co-starred in 1972 movie Hickey and Boggs, which Culp directed, and reunited in a 1987 episode of The Cosby Show. Though TV dominated his career, Culp's many movies included Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice, Hannie Caulder, PT 109 and The Pelican Brief (as the president).

Culp's quick wit led to stints on game shows such as Hollywood Squares, and he starred as an FBI agent in 1980s series The Greatest American Hero. His last recurring role was on Everybody Loves Raymondas Raymond's father-in-law.

[JPX] I, Spy is one of those shows that I've heard about all my life but never once has it ever been in re-runs in any place that I've lived. To this day I've never seen an episode. This is also the case for Space 1999.

10 comments:

Octopunk said...

I'm not sure I even knew there was a show called I Spy before I read this guy's obit. I remember him as Ray's father-in-law on Everybody Loves Raymond. He had this great speech after his character announced his divorce to his daughter (Ray's wife). She protests that she's never seen her parents not get along, and he goes on about how yeah, his own marriage looked great but was failing, while Ray's parents fought constantly and stayed together. I'm not making it sound good but it was a funny observation on brutal honesty winning the day.

Rest in peace, Mr. Culp.

I kind of hate it when old people die because of a simple fall. Same thing happened to Kurt Vonnegut.

JPX, you should check out some Space: 1999. Get the first dvd from Netflix and see what you think.

JPX said...

I've been wanting to watch Space 1999 for years! I know I'll just love it. I'm going to do that, Octo - in fact, I'm going to do it right now!

Octopunk said...

Awesome!

Some episodes are better than others. You definitely want the first one to get the plot background, but it might be good if you're open to some episode recommendations afterwards. One of my favorites comes late in the Season 1 run, so a few dvds in.

JPX said...

Cool, I'll lean on you and Jordan to properly direct me on this. Jordan's Star Trek TOS recommendations were invaluable.

Jordan said...

Hey guys!

Coincidentally I'm finishing up a run through the first season right now. It really is great stuff; you just have to adjust to its particular weirdnesses.

Basically, the schtick is about combining reasonably contemporary technology (i. e. 2001: A Space Odyssey-type approach to near-future sci-fi) with an "outer space"/"explore the universe" Star Trek style format. The gimmick they use to perform this fusion is a near-future moonbase, but the actual moon is blasted out of orbit and is roaming through the stars, bringing the low-tech moonbase and all our main characters with it. If you can accept this (completely insane) premise, you'll do fine.

The design of the show is superb from start to finish. All spacecraft, costumes, sets, etc. are amazing. The effects...well, they do what they can with what they've got, but they're amazing by 1970s standards and everyone involved went on to do great things at ILM and elsewhere.

I'll have any Space: 1999 discussion anyone wants to have! I love this stuff.

Jordan said...

JPX. the very first DVD contains an episode called "Black Sun" (their way of referring to a black hole) which is universally regarded by all the cast members as their absolute favorite. It's pretty good.

JPX said...

Cool, thanks! I'm getting excited to discover some new (old) sci-fi!

Octopunk said...

Uh-oh, he's stuck! Somebody whack JPX on the side of the head.

JPX said...

Disc 1 is now at the top of my queue! I think this might be my summer project.

Jordan said...

Please provide a blow-by-blow account!

I'm really curious how it comes across to someone of my generation (which you roughly are) who hasn't seen it (but who likes sci-fi). That's a smaller group than you might imagine.

Seriously, Octopunk, aren't you curious what he's going to think of it?

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...