Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Let Me In




(2010) ****

The wife and I caught this on date night last Friday. First we shared a big old chicken nachos platter, then some side salads and a couple beers. All with free babysitting. So yeah, it was a good night anyway, and then we walked around the corner from the bar to see this new vampire romance thriller thingy.

I was aware that this had been a cult fave foreign film recently, and I knew it had been well received on this blog, so I was hoping that this seemingly pointless American remake wouldn't be offensively vanilla. No need to worry--this is a fun, scary, touching, and well crafted horror flick. That said, I'm holding back a half star to allow room for me to like the original even better.



From a few reviews I've scanned, it seems like this one sticks really closely to the original, plotwise--it's about an adolescent loner kid who falls for his new neighbor, a 12 year girl who turns out to be a vampire with mad Rubik's cube skills. The two kid actors really carry the movie, and they're both quite good. I'd just seen the boy, Kodi Smit McGee, in The Road. He was good in that, but the role demanded less. Here, his loneliness and social discomfort and desire for companionship are key to the movie's success, and he's convincing. The little girl is just as good--sort of androgynous, a bit vacant and world-weery, and obviously scared for her future. She also gets mean and bloodthirsty like nobodies fucking business.

My one real complaint about this flick was somewhat oddly clumsy CGI effects. If Jackson can do ringwraiths and Golem almost a decade ago, you'd think a single small vampire in a dark courtyard could be a snap. But in two crucial shots, the effect ends up looking pretty cartoonish. Ah, humbug. That's 2 weak shots in an overall very pretty movie.

8 comments:

Octopunk said...

Man, WHO will be the first to see both?

Another pointed and thoughtful review from Landshark. "Close to the original" is good, I just hope they manage to import the style as well.

Octopunk said...

Oh, by the way folks, if I hadn't commented on any of your revews, I have now. Caught up last night. Mind you, there's such a tidal wave of writing right now I can't promise I said anything profound or even relevant.

Catfreeek said...

I'm also glad to hear this isn't a bust. Can't wait to hear a comparison. Hurry up and watch the original, will ya!

DKC said...

I'd love to try to see this, but I know how getting to a movie theater can be for us. Pretty much impossible.

Happy to hear it doesn't suck.

AC said...

torn about watching this, as i liked the original so much, but your review makes the remake sound very promising.

octo, i bow to your dedicated comment-dropping! i've had trouble even keeping up with others' posts this week. damn job. you think my boss would let me go to half-time next october?

Johnny Sweatpants said...

Could it be one of those rare cases where the remake is better than the foreign original? I don't see how that's possible but I can't wait to see this! You're on freakin' fire Landshark.

50PageMcGee said...

when the trailer for this went up a few weeks back, someone here made the comment that, while the trailer made it look like a stupid american remake, the actual footage looked pretty faithful in tone. i've got high hopes for this. i loved the original.

Whirlygirl said...

Glad to hear this is good. I can't wait to see it and make the comparison.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...