Friday, October 15, 2010

Re-Animator



(1985) ****

Everything's going well for med student Dan Cain, until he makes the mistake of taking as roommate mad-scientist-in-training Herbert West. West has returned from Europe with a penchant, and a serum, for re-animating dead tissue.

I know this is a blog favorite, but in defense of my (only) 4 star rating I found the earlier parts of the movie to be relatively slow going both in terms of humor and horror. Also I found Dan and his fiancee totally uninteresting. Fortunately, once Re-Animator gets going it really gets going on, plus it's super gory, plus Jeffrey Combs and David Gale are perfect in their respective mad-scientist roles. I hadn't seen it before, and though I knew some of the classic gory images ahead of time, there were plenty more shocking and surprising scenes in store... in fact, it was hard to resist putting up some of those images, but I wouldn't want to ruin the surprise for anyone else.

6 comments:

JPX said...

Make sure you check out parts 2 and 3, which ratchet up the craziness and are every bit as enjoyable! I'm glad you finally tackled this cult classic!

Catfreeek said...

Also check out From Beyond while your at it. Great pick, this is Tony's favorite.

Whirlygirl said...

I've been meaning to check out Re-Animator. Enough talking about it, it's going on my list for this year.

Johnny Sweatpants said...

Watch Martyrs!

Trevor said...

I haven't seen this one either - didn't even know it had Jeffrey Combs. I'll have to get to this one too.

Oh, and one of his latest films - Dark House is pretty good if anyone gets a chance to review it.

Octopunk said...

Wow, I didn't think anyone would know about Jeffrey Combs having not seen this. I know he's in a lot of stuff, but this role is to him what Ash is to Bruce Campbell.

Hey AC, you left a star off your rating for some reason. What's up?

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...