Friday, October 24, 2008

Alien



Alien (1979) ****1/2 Stars

First of all, the only reason this didn't get the full five stars from me was the fright level. There is a constant level of tension throughout the film, but it wasn't very scary. It really is a five star movie, sets, acting, the perfect alien, but I am holding out my final 1/2 star for the movie that scares the shit out of me.

You all know the story here. The crew of the spaceship Nostromo are diverted from their mission to answer a distress call from the surface of a planet their ship happened to be passing. Upon arrival on the planet, the crew discovers a group of leathery "pods". They should have left them alone...they don't. One of the pods opens, and its spider-like inhabitant attaches itself to one of the crews face. Bad mojo.

The crew returns to ship, with spider in tow. Well not tow, it's still attached to the face of the crewman Kane. They discover there is no way to remove the alien parasite without killing Kane. Later, it detaches itself. Problem solved. Ummmm, not so much.

You guys know the rest. Lunch, alien "birth", dead crew. So here are some thoughts I had while re-watching this one tonight.

-If you are even remotely a leg-man, you should own this movie. Sigourney Weaver does a few scenes in just her underwear, and she has some LEGS.

-Why do all spaceships in sci-fi movies have self-destruct mechanisms? Why would you buy this option for your new ship? "Yeah, I know I'm paying a Trillion dollars for the ship, but can you install something that will blow it up? No, I mean like a button or lever you push and then the ship blows up. Maybe a computer voice that counts down until the ship blows up? That'd be great."

-Tom Skerritt and Yaphet Kotto, was there anything they weren't in during the late 70's and 80's?

**If you haven't seen this movie, stop reading here!!

-I keep thinking the cat was looking out of its "deep-sleep" bed at the end thinking, ‘Wait. You shot it out of the door?! Why the hell didn't we do that earlier, you know, before we blew up the big ship?’

7 comments:

DKC said...

Great review!

And, in all fairness, you don't have to just be a leg-MAN. I have a total girl crush on Sigourney.

AC said...

i still find "alien" scary every single time i watch it. it is one of my favorite movies, and another one i was too chicken to watch until i was in my twenties.

Whirlygirl said...

I have a girl crush on Sigourney too.

I watched this movie once and only once. I thought it was great but got very disturbed when one of the guys vomits up this white milk like substance. I started to detest milk from that moment on and haven't drank a glass since. I was really young and I'm sure it probably wouldn't bother me so much now and should revisit this film.

miko564 said...

Girl crushes...(making Homer Simpson beer noise) agglllghhhhh. Sweet.

Johnny Sweatpants said...

Legs? Are they those things that prop up the ass?

JPX said...

"Sigourney Weaver does a few scenes in just her underwear" - you mean to say the weirdest panties ever created - what's the deal with those things. they look so uncomfortable!

Octopunk said...

They're spaaaaace panties. Your primitive mind could not comprehend.

That would be a great question for a space shuttle pilot -- how would you auto-destruct the ship?

Great choice, Miko.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...