Sunday, October 26, 2008

I am Legend

(2007) ****

Will Smith and his dog Sam roam a wild, deserted Manhattan Island trying to stay alive and sane. Three years previously Will was part of a team attempting to develop a viral cure for cancer. After a promising beginning, the virus killed most humans, turned others into fast moving zombie-like-infected types, and left a lucky few who were immune to infection (most of whom the infected get anyway). Will elected to stay in Manhattan at ground zero to try to develop an antidote to the condition he helped create, but the years of isolation and danger are starting to get to him.

I really liked this film. Will Smith's acting and screen presence totally carry the movie, and I enjoyed Will's relationship with Sam the dog. Thanks to our very own Handsome Stan, Manhattan really looked the way it shoulda: empty. Even the addition of a woman and child late in the picture managed not to ruin things for me. My one negative, but it's a biggie: I was consistently disappointed in the CGI infected hordes. Every time there was an approaching mass of infected, it was like a cold shower of reality. Dang! I hear there's a prequel on the way: if so, hope they improve the appearance of the infected for that one. Still, I am Legend is a good movie. Kudos to Handsome Stan!

12 comments:

JPX said...

AC, check out the original, Last Man on Earth, I think it's even better than this one. Nice review!

miko564 said...

AC, yeah I liked it too.

The idea of the prequel really bothers me. It wouldn't seem so blatant an attempt to make money on the back of a good, successful movie...but...won't the prequel just be "28 days"?

Anonymous said...

帳號的設計 要有什麼經驗
發問者: Hokkiao ( 實習生 5 級)
發問時間: 2008-10-07 06:59:19 ( 還有 1 天發問到期 )
解答贈點: 20 ( 共有 0 人贊助 )
回答:
2 意見: 0
[ 檢舉 ]
zycxxcz1234.blogspot.com

方案 : 一ㄍ 【WRETCH】 categorization分類 TRANSFER->一ㄍ [BLOGSPOT] ID帳號








NATIONAL TAIWANUNIVERSITY
IWANNA

JPX said...

I couldn't have said it better myself, 不結婚可以環球.

miko564 said...

LOL, JPX.

I just like that one of the four English words is "WRETCH". How utterly random...

DKC said...

I liked this too. I didn't love it - but I do agree that Smith does a great job.

I think I need to check out the original as well.

WRETCH to you, Hokkiao!

Trevor said...

Anybody see the alternate ending for this movie? The one where Dr. Neville lives? Everyone says it was "so much better", but I think that in the context of the film, it would've sucked? Any thoughts?

Whirlygirl said...

I haven’t seen the alternate ending. I'm not sure how I feel about that. I'm probably leaning towards he stay dead, but it's been awhile since I've seen the film so I feel a bit distant from it.

But I do know who I wished had lived.

Trevor said...

The dog - right. You've got to be talking about the dog.

Whirlygirl said...

Yes.

Johnny Sweatpants said...

I hear what you're saying 不結婚可以環球, but to be perfectly frank I think you should go 動 性交;交 中斷.

HandsomeStan said...

I'm not advanced enough (or awake enough) to figure out how to say "Thanks AC" in Japanese text, but I will give you a hearty "Domo. Domo arigato."

Mr. Roboto.

Funnily enough, I still haven't seen the damn movie, so I have no opinion on the "real" ending. The only thing I do know is that their half-assed decision to CGI the creatures was a recipe for a complete viewer disconnect.

And Special Inside Man Scoop: the prequel is now on the back-burner, and likely not to go into production anytime soon, which means essentially that it won't get made. Momentum is everything.

(And it was all due to budgetary crap as well as New York basically refusing to let another I Am Legend into the city. Because we fucked some serious shit up, and put down a footprint the size of Godzilla.)

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...