Wednesday, October 29, 2008

The House on Sorority Row


(1983)***

Seven sorority sisters find themselves in a real pickle when a prank to scare their bitchy housemother goes horribly wrong and ends in the old bitty’s death. After some bickering about how to handle this debacle they reluctantly agree to hide her corpse in the bottom of a murky swimming pool until a large graduation party being held in the house later that evening concludes. As the party commences an unseen menace begins slicing and dicing the seven girls. Is the old bitty still alive or is there another killer out there?

Wait, where did you say I was?

I’ve watched about 10 1980s slashers recently and I’ve become really good at guessing the killer. Halfway through I had the whole shabang figured out and I watched with a smug knowing look on my face as the rest of the film unfolded precisely as I predicted with my new gift of prophecy. Still, House on Sorority Row was one of the better 1980s stalk-n-stabs, which is like saying one velvet Elvis is better than another. The killings were gruesome and one shot of a head in a toilet really grossed me out, especially when the victim’s eyes opened. Imagine being headless and with the millisecond of awareness you have before you die you notice that you’re in a toilet where people poop.

7 comments:

Trevor said...

Were all these movies actually released in the theater, or was the direct to video market in the 80s really popular?

miko564 said...

JPX, what the hell?! You review a movie that takes place on Soroity Row, and make no mention of the boobage? Are you in trouble with Whirly and trying to look good?

This is unacceptable.

Johnny Sweatpants said...

Ugh remind me not to check the blog until I have my morning coffee. The head in the toilet too early in the morning was just awful. But yeah, talk about a double whammy. "I'm almost dead! And it smells like shit!"

JPX said...

Oh there were plenty of boobs, plenty!

I assumed that was understood.

Whirlygirl said...

Even if I was mad at JPX I would never stop him from talking about boobs.

Octopunk said...

It's truly amazing how many stalk-n-stab movies there are. You could probably dedicate an entire 'thon to them. I've never heard of this one.

Landshark said...

Awesome poster, and thank you miko for calling attention to the obvious shortcoming in the review.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...