Friday, October 24, 2008

Hellbent

(2004) ***

Let the fun begin. Four gay men, one is a former cop’s son go under cover to a huge gay West Hollywood Halloween bash to try and oust a serial killer.

The killer beheads gay men and the heads are never recovered. He totes them around in Halloween bags with pumpkin faces on them.

Our four would be heroes first encounter the horned psycho in the park, he is seen carrying a sickle and lurking behind a tree. Knowing there is a serial killer on the loose, our boys of course think nothing of this weapon toting freak and decide to taunt him with their bare butts. Then it’s off to the club.


The first thing they proclaim is, “stick together guys, there’s safety in numbers,” when entering the first club, a fine establishment with a neon sign outside that simply says “Meat”. Of course that statement goes out the window real quick and soon our costume-clad stallions are going in all different directions.

The horned killer shows up and stalks them one by one as the night goes on.

To quote the infamous Johnny Sweatpants, “Good thing we have Catfreeek to take it on! She'll watch anything!” Yes, I will. I found gay horror, I didn’t know it existed but I found it. It was actually pretty good too. The deaths were bloody and violent, the killer was relentless, huge and silent, and no the movie was not filled with gratuitous gay soft core. The few intimate scenes were brief and tastefully done. I bet the guys are still not sold on it. Don’t feel bad my hubby wouldn’t watch it with me either but once again my friend Patty pulls through and toughs out another night of horror with the Freeek. For what it’s worth, the movie wasn’t bad at all.

5 comments:

Trevor said...

gay horror movies - I think it's actually coming out as a sub-genre. I read a review this morning in the newspaper of a movie playing at a local independent cinema, The Gay Bed and Breakfast of Terror. The reviewer like it, but at 1 hr 52 minutes, said it was way too long. So, this weekend, should I go see Saw 5, or support the gay horror genre?

No on Prop 8!

Catfreeek said...

I think you should support the gay horror genre, now I'm dying to hear how The Gay Bed and Breakfast of Terror is.

I just checked and they have it on Netflix, I'm gonna add it to my queue.

Johnny Sweatpants said...

I yelled at some 'Yes On 8' jerks on my bike ride to work this morning! I was like "What the hell is wrong with you? It's 2008 - GET OVER IT ALREADY!" I've felt like quite the badass ever since.

Still, all things considered, I'll take a pass on Hellbent. Do I want to know what the "bent" part refers to?

DKC said...

You are a badass JSP, even if you don't yell at people while passing them on your bike.

Whirlygirl said...

Great review, Cat! I'm always amazed at the movies you find.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...