Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Sleepy Hollow





(1999) ****


Ichabod Crane is a progressive constable in New York city at the turn of the century (19th century that is). To rid him of his liberal ways, the magistrates of NYC send him north to Sleepy Hollow to investigate an odd series of 3 recent beheadings. Upon arriving, Crane learns of the fantasy of the Headless Horseman who kills his victims and takes their heads. The body count rises quickly upon Crane's arrival, which all include the same type of murder - decapitation, with the head never to be found. Meanwhile, a romantic subplot forms between Crane and the wealthy daughter of the town's leader, played by Christina Ricci.
There are a lot of fun moments to savor in Sleepy Hollow. Christopher Walken as the Headless Horseman is fantastic. He even looks like he's having fun...
There's a real whodunit mystery in the film too that is entertaining to watch unfold. The only annoying parts come from the romantic subplot. One has to overlook lines like "Perhaps there is some witchcraft in you after all Katrina." "Why do you say that?" "Because you have bewitched me." Bleah. I expect that kind of dross from an episode of Dawson's Creek, but not this.

Still the imagery is fantastic - think Nightmare Before Xmas, but in real life. And the finale evokes classic horror films - burning windmill and all. To qualify this review I'll say - Tim Burton films are kind of hit or miss for me. I hated Nightmare before Xmas, Mars Attacks, and Willy Wonka, but was very impressed by Edward Scissorhands, Batman, and even Planet of the Apes. This one, while perhaps a bit too commercial by some standards is one of his best.

I've got a headache THIS BIG and it's screaming for excedrin.

2 comments:

JPX said...

Right on, Sleepy Hollow! I only saw this film once, on crappy bootleg no less, but I recall really digging it. I'm a huge Depp fan. I'm glad to hear that it holds up. I just might squeeze it in for another look before the end of the week.

Horrorthon!

Catfreeek said...

Haha, that last picture is hysterical. I loved this flick too.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...