Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Don’t Torture a Duckling

(1972) ***½

A child killer is committing heinous murders in a remote Italian village. A reporter digs in and tries to get to the bottom of it. There is a voodoo priest and a female apprentice that are being investigated as well as a priest and a promiscuous wealthy woman who is new to the village.


Lucio Fulci is one of my favorite directors. What I love is how he keeps you guessing through the whole film. I really mean it too, most suspense pictures you pretty much figure out midway through or so. Not so with Fulci, my friend (Yes, Patty again) and I kept running over it as the film progressed and it wasn’t until the end when it hit us. Very cool, he’s the Italian Hitchcock , mystery wise anyway. He lacks the finesse that Hitch had for cinematography and Hitch had access to better actors as well. Good film though and you really have to appreciate his originality with the title.

5 comments:

Whirlygirl said...

I watched this for Horrorthon last year, but never got around to writing up a review. I did mention it in one my best of. I liked this one too. I agree, Fulci is good at keeping you guessing. I've so far only ventured into 70's Fulci, and one from the 60's and A Woman in a Lizard's Skin is my favorite.

Catfreeek said...

Woman in a Lizard's skin review will be up soon ;)

Johnny Sweatpants said...

So where does the tortured duckling fit into the equation?

Fulci is very underrated in the horror world. Maybe next year I'll do a proper Fulci-thon.

Whirlygirl said...

I'm thinking about watching all his 80's films next year.

Landshark said...

Love the title.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...