Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Food of the Gods

(1976) **½

A football player and some friends go to an island for vacation but what they find is a nightmare. A farmer & his wife have discovered a substance streaming out of the ground on their land. They mix it with the chicken feed and all the baby chicks grow up to be the size of a bus. Just imagine the size of the eggs, not to mention a drumstick! So, they see it as a wonderful gift from God, hence the name. Here’s the trouble, some wasps get into the FOTG and one of the football player’s buddies gets stung by a wasp the size of a pit bull and dies. They go to the farmhouse and get the skinny on the FOTG from the farmer’s wife who happens to notice a rat hole in her kitchen wall while they are there. Cue in the giant rats. You got it, a bunch of people are trapped in a house trying to fend off a swarm of giant rats.

This is a classic H.G. Wells tale although I will admit that I haven’t read it. I think the film is very amusing and would probably write it off as poor 70’s special effects or what not. However, my sister & I saw this one in the theater when it came out and I can clearly remember us laughing through it back then.

Look, those rats are attacking a Barbi camper!

It’s one that I think everyone should watch but I would say more for the amusing aspect of it then for the horror or lack there of.

3 comments:

Landshark said...

Oh my god. This is like the first horror movie I ever saw. I must have been about 6, and I thought it was the greatest thing ever made.

DKC said...

Was this the one where the woman looks down and there are giant maggots eating her arm? Or something. I think I remember seeing a part of this that had giant maggots.

Which totally freak me out.

Whirlygirl said...

I was just taking a bite of food when I read the word "maggots."

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...