Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Onibaba




(1964) ****

I completely agree with Catfreeek on this one. Please see her review for a plot description by using Sweatpant’s awesome Horrothon Monster List. Like Cat said in her review, I think captivating is one of the best words to describe this film. It is filmed incredibly and the story is engaging by the way it expresses timeless themes of human emotion. Even though it was filmed in the 60’s and takes place in a time, space, and culture unrecognizable to me, I could relate to the characters. The way the grass was filmed just blew me away. The film takes place in a field of tall grass, but it becomes far more than being just the locale. It is symbolic, it is breathtaking, it is menacing. It is by far one of the best uses of scenery I’ve ever seen. Its splendor begins in the opening credits. The movement of the grass and music together are magic. The swirling, roaring and fluttering of the grass set against the sound expresses intense emotion. It’s so good that I watched it four times before I even began the movie. The grass imagery continued to impress me throughout the entire film.

4 comments:

Catfreeek said...

So glad you enjoyed this as much as I did. A beautiful film with a great story.

DKC said...

So cool! Definitely one to check out.

JPX said...

How dare you watch something without me! Now I must borrow this.

Johnny Sweatpants said...

Great description Whirlygirl!

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...