Monday, October 04, 2010

Irreversible

(2002) **** ½

The boyfriend and ex-boyfriend of a rape victim seek revenge against her attacker.

I read that this was the most walked out of film of 2002. I had also heard that the first fifteen minutes of this film are insane. Considering the plot, that it’s a French, and had a high walkout rate, I assumed the opening was a blood bath. I was wrong. Not about it’s level of craziness, it is nuts, but about the blood. The camera moves up and down and spins around like nothing I’ve ever seen. I’ve never been bothered by camera movement, but I almost lost my dinner watching this. I actually had to cover my eyes a few times. Luckily, this doesn’t last through the entire film, and as sick as it almost made me, I wouldn’t change a thing because it is well suited for the urgency and angst of the characters’ situation.

Why four and a half stars? It’s well structured and extremely effective. I have a feeling this film is going to sit with me for some time. The rape scene is long and awful. It reminds you what a horrific act rape is. I’m still sick over it. The film tells the story in reverse order. Recounting it in this way made what happen seem all the more worse. I kept finding myself wanting the characters to behave differently, to make different choices so the outcome would be different, but I already saw it, it already happened, like the title states, it’s irreversible.

There are discussions on French horror sites as to whether this film should be classified as horror. I agree that it is difficult to say for sure if it fits in this genre, but like everyone else I do feel this movie is horrifying, and its impact lasting. It’s inspired me to sign up for self-defense courses.

8 comments:

JPX said...

You're on fire this year, Whirlygirl! I've been enjoying your French theme and this one sounds Momento-like. I'm not sure how much I would dig the shaky-cam, but it sounds like its worth getting through to get to the heart of the story. I hate seeing rape in a movie but if you're giving this 4.5 stars I'm going to have to check it out.

DKC said...

Yikers. I'm such a wuss when it comes to horror. Between the shaky-cam and long rape scene, well you can pretty much count me out.

But I am also fascinated by your French theme and have to agree with JPX - on fire!

Catfreeek said...

You're really digging up some gold Whirly. I may have to check this one out.

Catfreeek said...

I just looked and this was already in my queue. Silly me.

Landshark said...

Nice find. Sounds pretty unsettling.

50PageMcGee said...

there was talk in the comment sections of the various reviews of Texas Chainsaw Massacre about how it's less scary and more uncomfortable.

now, it's hard to compare this to TCM because, discomfort aside, what TCM lacked in scariness, it more than made up for in carnage.

this sounds like it wasn't so bloody, but i think storytelling mechanisms in movies are as complex as they've ever been, so i've got to think that the level of discomfort achieved here has to put it in the category of "horrific." especially given the brutal subject matter.

AC said...

compelling review, but no thank you. can't watch an extended rape scene for entertainment purposes; i guess i would (if i had to) for work.

Octopunk said...

Way to take on the tough stuff, Whirly! I just heard two guys in the video store talking about how they love horror movies and intensity but this one repelled even them. Whirly > random guy movie geeks.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...