Thursday, October 14, 2010

Paranormal Activity

(2007) ****

Confession time, folks. Thing is - I don't really like horror movies that much. Given a choice on genres, horror would not be among my top go-to types. This is why I tend more towards the "fun" horror. Point of this - Paranormal Activity scared the SHIT out of me!!

You can read the differing opinions of Cat and JPX from their reviews last year. As JPX wrote - "people seem to either love it or hate it." Well, I loved it. The slow build of the tension, the increasing nastiness of the events - it worked for me. To such an extent that after it was over I made desroc follow me around the house while I got ready for bed so I wouldn't be alone. I'm just a biddy.

I think most people know the plot: Katie and Micah live in a nice house in San Diego. We meet them via "found footage" that Micah is shooting to try to prove that they - specifically Katie - are being haunted by a paranormal force. Things, shall we say, escalate.


I liked these two. Well, okay, I didn't like Micah so much. His, "I'll take care of my home and girlfriend" macho attitude, even in the face of progressively freakier things, got kind of annoying. I honestly felt bad for Katie. This thing has been haunting her off and on since she was 8 years old for god's sake. Who wouldn't just want to call a demonologist, already? Sheesh.

I thought it was excellent, even though it scared the bejesus out of me. Okay, okay, maybe a little bit because it scared the bejesus out of me. I'd still rather watch Mary Poppins.

Don't even think about crossing me.

12 comments:

DKC said...

Incidentally,"Paranormal Activity 2" comes out at the end of this month.

Hmmmm.

AC said...

good for you dcd! as a fellow blog-biddy (biddy buddy?) i know well the challenge and the pleasure of finding a movie that's just the right dose of scary.

JPX said...

I'm glad you liked it DCD, now immediately get a copy of Paranormal Entity, which is a rip-off, but an effective rip-off =)

Octopunk said...

Mary Poppins? Run!

It's a good thon went you get the SHIT scared out of you.

Catfreeek said...

That review was friggin' funny. I'm glad you liked it, nice to know some people got their money's worth. I won't revisit it but I will try giving Paranormal Activity 2 and possibly Paranormal Entity a go.

JPX have you seen Death of a Ghost Hunter? If not I think you should check it out.

Johnny Sweatpants said...

I've been saving this movie. JPX insists I watch it at night with all the lights out.

Johnny Sweatpants said...

Hilarious review DCD!

Landshark said...

Awesome, D. If you can do it, I should be able to muster it up. I almost watched this the other night, but chickened out.

I remember when this was out in theaters, I heard about it first from some students. These girls had driven an hour to go watch it in Ann Arbor, and it was like "a big deal because people are fainting and stuff..."

Whirlygirl said...

Glad you liked it, DCD. I'm also on the side that enjoyed this film.

50PageMcGee said...

wait, you're not talking about this Mary Poppins, are you?

Landshark said...

Love it, 50. That one and the Shining one are my two favs of those re-edited trailers.

DKC said...

Ha! It's not, 50 - but I do remember that clip and it cracks me up every time.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...