Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Saw IV



*** 1/2

JPX reviewed this a few years ago and has an excellent summary. I suggest going to the master list to read his review if you'd like a more thorough summary. I'll briefly try to set this particular Saw film in context...

Immediately following the events of Saw III, the mastermind/villain jigsaw is being autopsied. Inside his stomach, a micro-cassette is found (if the film had been made a few years later, I'm sure it would have been a usb drive as that would be so much easier to swallow and potentially pass). What ensues is a 90-minute "game" where an officer must save the day while conquering his own insatiable urge to save the day - quite the paradox.
No secret this guy is dead in the film.

The Saw franchise has had its ups and downs. Like previous reviewers, I am a fan of how wonderfully clever these films and their endings are. Over the past two months, I've re-watched Saws 1-6 (something I predicted I may not do in my review of Saw VI last year). Saw 4 has arguably the greatest twist at the end to leave its viewers in shock. Although, as JPX mentions, you have to watch part 3 shortly before part 4. In fact, parts 3-6 are so close and intertwined, that they would seem to almost fit better as a mini-series rather than separate theatrical films. Do they still do mini-series? It seems like I haven't seen one advertised in a while. But I digress.


This film is a particular standout among the Saw francise for a few reasons:
1. The twist at the end is the best of the franchise as previously mentioned.
2. Jigsaw's character is more fully developed here (odd since he starts the film dead) than in any other of the films.
3. The way that this film simultaneously adds to the plot development of part three while immediately setting up part 4 is very impressive story telling.

Having said that, if you haven't watched the first three, you can't watch part 4. It is not a stand alone film. But, if you're into the marathon, part 4 is one to look forward to. Part 5, which I'll review later, is not.

6 comments:

Catfreeek said...

I think I quit watching the Saw movies after 4. My son has them all so maybe I need to revisit the series at some point. Nice review.

Octopunk said...

I had a notion to catch up on these this year (I've only reviewed the first 3), but I'm not sure if I'm gonna.

Nice to know this one is good, however, since it will be my starting point.

DKC said...

I'm still a biddy - so just prefer to find out how all the traps work then actually watching the films.

JPX said...

I haven't seen parts V or VI yet and I'm not sure why. I've always enjoyed the SAW films because I enjoy seeing people tortured (just kidding folks!). Although these films are disturbing, they are clever and the "twists" are always pretty damn good. When I sit down to watch these again I'll probably start with part 3, given what you say in your review.

Nice summary - will we get reviews for parts V and VI as well?

50PageMcGee said...

given octo's complaints about the tone of the first three, and trevor's claim that this is the best one, it makes me wonder what's the latest in a series of films a *good* sequel came out of nowhere.

Trevor said...

I'd have to say, A Nightmare on Elm Street 7: Wes Craven's New Nightmare.

That one was awesome.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...