Tuesday, October 05, 2010

Taxidermia

(2006) ****

When you innocently pop a movie into the dvd player the first scene sets the mood for the rest of the film. It's true, first impressions are very important. When that scene involves a man getting quite intimate with a candle, resulting in an orgasm much resembling a blow torch...Let's just say my curiosity was piqued. Taxidermia is a Hungarian film that expands over a period of years following 3 generations of men. The first being a WWII army officer, his son a professional eater whose son is an obsessive taxidermist. Along this ride I felt amused, disgusted, nauseous, disturbed and intrigued. I witnessed pig fucking, projectile vomiting, masturbation, grotesque obesity and cats feeding on guts. Yet up until the final 20 minutes of the film I was still unsure if it would technically be considered a horror film. That final bit left me with no fucking doubt in my mind, horror it is. Creepy, nasty, gut wrenching horror!


This film is seriously up there in most disturbing. I honestly did not know what to expect and what I got I could not have imagined in my wildest dreams. I dare not give away any more to those of you who may be willing to venture in. Be prepared to be grossed out. I have never seen a film that took such a drastic turn from almost lighthearted black comedy to holy shit! I wouldn't recommend watching this while eating dinner.

11 comments:

JPX said...

Wow, what a find, Catfreeek! The pictures alone make this a "must see" for me. I'm still laughing at the Gretchen head hiding that guy's naughty bits!

Whirlygirl said...

Holy crap! I'm tempted, but scared...what to do, what to do?

Whirlygirl said...

I have to see it. No matter how sick it makes me.

JPX said...

That's my girl!

DKC said...

You two are so cute, a match made in Horrorthon heaven!

Not surprisingly, I'll skip it!

Julie said...

Wow, I'm sure if Octo rents it, I'll see half of it and then fall asleep and have nightmares.

Love the Gretchen black out bar.

Catfreeek said...

Seriously, I watched it before work this morning and I was nauseous until like 11:00.

50PageMcGee said...

this looks pretty rotten. i was drinking a friggin smoothie -- and that's just fruit -- and it kind of gurgled a bit in my stomach reading this.

nice find. good review.

Johnny Sweatpants said...

Top of the queue! Top of the queue! I must see this movie! I have a couple of sicko friends I can't wait to unleash this upon.

AC said...

alls i can say is, thank god for gretchie.

Octopunk said...

What a score! What's weird is I've seen that picture of the eating contest somewhere.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...