Monday, October 03, 2005

Zombie 3


(1988) **

You know exactly where you stand with this movie in the first minute when the zombie vomits blood. Lucio Fulci (Zombie 2, The Beyond) gets the director's nod for Zombie 3 despite having precious little to do with the film. The Zombie 3 plot is negligible. A group of terrorists release a cloud of toxic gas that makes zombies. I love zombies. Zombiism is a virus that can (and will) be transmitted by birds and other zombies. Much of the story is borrowed heavily from The Crazies but lacks any kind of substance behind it. The movie quickly gets bogged down by terrible Toxic Avenger style special effects and bad, bad acting. Let's face it, the 80's were just a dark period for the zombie world. On the plus side, the ridiculous haircuts and Beverly Hills Cop-like music was enough to keep a smile on my face throughout.

6 comments:

JPX said...

Hey, the 80s gave us Day of the Dead and Return of the Living Dead, two gems!

Johnny Sweatpants said...

I find Day of the Dead profoundly depressing. As for Return of the Living Dead, let me ask you this: Would you have enjoyed the movie had the punk girl worn clothes the entire film? It was a fun flick but can't be put on the same level as Zombie 2 etc.

JPX said...

Even the punk girl aside, it was a funny and gory flim that still holds up. There have been 2 sequels and there are 2 more sequels coming out this month (they will first be shown on sc-fi I think). I've never seen any of the sequels but Octopunk may want to add them to his list. Also, you always bash Day of the Dead but I think it's prety damn good. It's the last time we've ever had x-rated zombie gorging!

Johnny Sweatpants said...

Here's my top 10 zombie movies (defined in the broadest sense):

1) Dawn of the Dead (proper)
2) Zombie 2
3) The Beyond
4) Junk
5) Dawn of the Dead (remake)
6) Rabid
7) Night of the Living Dead
8) 28 Days Later
9) From Dusk Till Dawn
10) Shaun of the Dead

JPX said...

Hmmmmmm, I think Night of the Living Dead is a bit overrated and I didn't like 28 Days at all. It kind of devolved into a rip-off of Day of the Dead.

Octopunk said...

I think I'm avoiding a comprehensive zombie-fest this year so I can get all the slasher flicks in. But I agree with JPX about Night of the Living Dead

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...