Thursday, October 09, 2008

The Last Wave

(1977) *

This is to the most rotten review ever. I watched this move in four parts. I was half drunk when I began it, then I was half asleep the next two times, and by the end I barely had a clue what was going on. Honestly, I was very bored throughout this entire movie and just wanted it to end, but I’m not sure if it sucked or if it was my altered states. I’m not even sure if this is horror. JPX gave it to me and it had horror written on it so I assumed it was. It didn’t seem very horrorish to me except for the disturbing music, which consists of animals and bugs screeching. My poor cat was quite frantic over it.

The film begins with a school in a desert. The sky is clear but starts raining and then hailing. The school children run for cover inside as the windows break and glass cuts a child face. Suddenly the film changes to depicting the life of an attorney that agrees to take the case of Aborigines accused of killing a member of their group. The lawyer suffers from dream premonitions. Apparently he also used to experience this as a kid. In his dreams he is visited by one of the Aborigines, and it seems to be connected to the case and the weather, which forewarns of a coming apocalypse. He becomes more and more entangled and obsessed with finding out what this all means.

Please no one take my review as an indication of this movie’s merits. I only wrote and rated it so I would get credit.

6 comments:

JPX said...

"JPX gave it to me and it had horror written on it so I assumed it was."

The way I remember it Whirlygirl said, "Can you get The Last Wave from Netflix?" I ordered it, copied it, and labeled it as "horror", which is what Whirly led me to believe it was.

I'm not sure what to make of the film, it sounds bad but then again you were wasted when watching it!

Whirlygirl said...

JPX, I have no idea where this came from. It was in the stack of movies you gave me. I think it's one of yours. I'm quite sure it's you considering you gave me a DVD labeled "Inside" that turned out to be The Signal. Face it, you're slipping in your older age.

I was only wasted for a quarter of the movie.

Johnny Sweatpants said...

My favorite part of the review is the bad grammar in the first sentence! It's as though the movie left you completely flustered..

My theory is that JPX is pawning off the questionable ones on Whirly to see if it's watchable or not.

Whirlygirl said...

You're right, I can't believe I wrote "most rotten." I should be stoned for that.

DKC said...

Haha! This review - and the subsequent comments - cracked me right up!

Octopunk said...

Clearly what's happened here is that under JPX's senile guidance you watched four bits of different movies.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...