Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Manhunter


(1986) ***

Manhunter is more of a psychological thriller than a horror movie, but since I'm watching all five Hannibal Lecter-themed movies in the order they were made, I hadda start here. Manhunter is based loosely on the Thomas Harris book Red Dragon. We follow FBI profiler Will Graham as he attempts to track down the "Tooth Fairy," a serial killer who murders whole families and arranges them after death into grisly tableaux. Graham had previously attained notoriety, and suffered physical and psychological trauma of his own, when he captured Hannibal Lecktor (as it's spelled here). Now he turns to the imprisoned Lecktor to get insight into the Tooth Fairy's psyche, a risky strategem indeed.

I liked this movie, which I had never seen before, though I have a hankering for some real horror now. The cast was good, and the director (Michael Mann, who also wrote the screenplay) did a fair job of conveying and condensing complex plot elements from the book. I may have been a wee bit distracted by the 80s look, plus I couldn't help comparing Manhunter to Silence of the Lambs (some of the same plot elements and characters are present in SOTL) even though it is totally unfair and unreasonable to do so. Oh well, I'll get over it, especially since SOTL is the next movie on deck. That'll give me my horror fix as well as my quality fix, both of which may be necessary to carry me through the three subsequent movies.

7 comments:

DKC said...

I started to leave this whole comment on SOTL, then realized I should really save it for that review.

I read Manhunter but I cannot remember now if I ever saw the movie.

Good review, AC!

miko564 said...

Red Dragon was a great book, on par with SOTL (the book). I agree with you, the movie was good, but a little 80's looking now. It was one of the few films I didn't think M. Mann ruined with his "Look I'm a director, what camera can I use now?" approach.

I look forward to hear how you feel about Red Dragon when you see it, compared to Manhunter.

Octopunk said...

I have a feeling this series will peak with Lambs.

I've viewed Manhunter a number of times, and the viewing after Lambs had come out I resented Manhunter fiercely. For the vivid blue ties and blazers, for Dennis Farina as Crawford instead of Scott Glenn, basically the same 80's vibe Mann was sporting then. Since then I've come back around on it; it's still a little too electric-blue slick to ever be taken completely seriously, but it has some real style.

It was the Shriekback music in the movie that turned me around.

Johnny Sweatpants said...

Well, well, well. Look who decides to join the ol' Horrorthon competition. I'll be damned if it isn't AC and her first review.

I'm pleased you're tackling the Hannibal films. Actually I'm just impressed with anyone here who actually has a plan of attack. I'm totally winging it!

JPX said...

Yeah, Shriekback! I love The Big Hush. I'm very biased because Miami Vice is one of my favorite television shows (the first 2 seasons) and I recall enjoying Manhunter - I believe I saw it during its initial theatrical run. SOTL is certainly superior and I agree with Octo, the series peaks there. Admittedly I haven't seen the prequel, but come on, that can't be any good, right?

Whirlygirl said...

I love SOTL, but haven't seen this one. I am curious to check it out. I thought the prequel was ridiculous. I laughed out loud a couple times in the theater and pissed people off.

AC said...

i may have to read all the books (did read the first three long ago) after the thon is over. SOTL has to be the pinnacle of this viewing experience; saw hannibal in the theater and know it is no SOTL; can't imagine the other two are much good, but will know shortly!

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...