Saturday, October 04, 2008

Salem's Lot

1979 ****

I was twelve when this came originally aired on November 17th and 24th 1979.
I remember watching in my grandparents den, on a tiny black and white TV. It was the first movie to make me afraid.....very afraid, made damn sure that all window shades were pulled for months afterward.

Salem's lot was the second novel from Stephen King, (originally appearing as Jerusalem's Lot in the Night Shift collection of short stories), most of the stories from the collection were adapted to feature films, television movies or short films. Characters, events and locations from the stories are threaded throughout Stephen King novels.

Since the plot and all that have already posted recently I don't have to go into detail there. What did impress me about the movie some 30 years later is that it for a made for TV film is that it works, it is for me still a great horror movie (and yep I made sure all the shades were down last night).

9 comments:

miko564 said...

Desroc, I understand the shades. The Swede says she can tell how scary I think a movie is, by how close in proximity one of the firearms is to me as I watch.

I could have a M16 and a grenade, and I still wouldn't watch The Exorcist...

Whirlygirl said...

I definitely think it's time for me to re-watch this and be the third person to review it this year.

I'm with you on the Exorcist, Miko.

JPX said...

That damn picture still freaks me the hell out!!!

Miko, unless you have silver bullets, your guns won't do jack-shit to these vampires!

Who would shoot silver bullets? They're worth money for crying out loud.

miko564 said...

Wait a minute...aren't silver bullets for Werewolves? Do they work for Vamps too?

I use rapidly-expanding hollow-point lead bullets actually. So I may not kill 'em, but they'll have to chase me with pieces missing...

50PageMcGee said...

rapidly expanding? what are these, cartoon bullets? if i run in place for two seconds before speeding off, can i still get out of the way of one? or will their rapid expansion leave no room for me to dodge?

miko564 said...

Lol 50, actually, their rapid expansion takes place internally...

However, it you ever come across the giant-rapid-expanding-super-rounds, pick up a box for me.

I'm good for it...

JPX said...

Oh wait, what the hell was I thinking, vampires are killed with a stake, nothing expensive about that. Sorry, I've been watching too many movies all at once, mind turning to jello...

DKC said...

"So I may not kill 'em, but they'll have to chase me with pieces missing..."

LMAO!!

Octopunk said...

Some movies have silver working on vampires. I think that's Blade's deal.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...