Friday, October 03, 2008

Severance

(2006) ****

A group of executives from a weapons building company head out for a team building weekend at a luxury lodge in the Hungarian woods. When the road is blocked by a huge tree, the bus driver refuses to take an alternate dirt road and strands the party in the middle of nowhere. With map in hand they continue on foot and arrive at what they believe is the lodge. The place is a ramshackle shack a best but they decide to make the best of it. After discovering some weird old files they tell stories of a lone military rogue gone mad who roams the woods seeking vengeance on their very weapons company. Soon after they begin seeing someone watching them.

They decide to pack it in but of course it's too late for that, the fun is just beginning. The entire wooded area is booby trapped with land mines and bear traps and such. It seems there is no way out and team has no choice but to fight for their lives.

This movie was a fun ride filled with dry British sarcasm and lots of gore. I really enjoyed it and felt that it moved right along, no time for my mind to wander or for me to start checking how long the film had been playing. It was a nice choice.

Yes, I squeezed in another movie before work this morning. Did I neglect to mention that I'm an insomniac?

3 comments:

Landshark said...

I like the sound of this one. Dry British humor is always a good thing.

And kudos to jumping out to the early lead over the veterans. I suspect they're pulling a rope-a-dope, letting the newbs exhaust themselves early, piling up unwritten reviews, ready to pounce when we show any sign of weakness.

Octopunk said...

I'm not, but I can't speak for the others.

Catfreeek, you are kicking ass on numbers and, amazingly, totally unknown movies. How awesome is that?

Very, to answer my own question. It warms my heart because of the numerous times I've mentioned this contest to lay-folk and they're surprised we Horrorthonners haven't watched ALL the horror movies that exist. Pshaw!

Whirlygirl said...

Sounds like a great choice.

Wow, fitting one in before work! Catfreek, you are trooper.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...