Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Touch of Evil



(1958) *****
One of the things I'm looking forward to this month is finally catching up on a bunch of flicks I've stockpiled over the years, meaning to get to but never finding the time. So up front, I should admit that this means I'm going to be sprinkling in a handful of “suspense thriller” types with the standard slasher/monster/ghost flicks. On top of that, I wanted to start off the month with a bang, so when I stumbled across Orson Welles' Touch of Evil in my movie drawer last night at about 11pm, I knew I found my winner.
I didn't know anything about the plot, but it had the word “evil” in the title (yay!), and I vaguely knew it was a famous film noir classic, so I figured it would fit the genre criteria that octo laid out last week.
One really cool thing about this movie is that it's one of those classics that immediately punches you in the stomach with it's awesomeness, and you realize, “Oh, so this is why people get so jazzed about Welles. Cool.” I'm talking here about a 3-4 minute (seemed that long anyway) opening shot. Yes, “shot,” not “scene.” You start off in a Tijuana alley where some lowlife is placing a bomb in the trunk of a car, and then the camera pans out and up and tracks the car as it meanders through town and across the border. All one huge tracking shot. It's an excruciating 3 minutes of “pop goes the weasel” anticipation. And along the way, the camera does one of those cool switches where it starts following a couple who are walking through the street next to the car. The couple turns out to be Charlton Heston (in brownface playing a Mexican cop!) and Janet Leigh, who is fucking smoking (and could pop a balloon with her uber-pointy bra). So eventually of course the car go boom and the movie kicks into gear.
It becomes a complex crime thriller about racism, the Mexican mafia, cross border tension, and police corruption, and there's a lot more tense moments, particularly involving Leigh, who plays Heston's headstrong and sassy American wife who keeps putting herself in situations where you think: “Wtf are you doing?” One whole sequence in the second half of the movie involves her being stranded out at some deserted motel, with a really creepy gang of druggies (they have heroin...and reefer!) obviously planning to do something nasty to her.
The best part of the movie ends up being Welles playing a corrupt American cop butting heads with Heston's altruistic Mexican cop. Welles is one of those names who you hear a lot about, but probably, like me, haven't seen in action too often. (I think Citizen Kane and his cameo in The Third Man are all I've seen). So it's cool to see a legend live up to the billing. He “owns” the film. He's a fat, candy bar chewing, sarcastic, racist, arrogant prick. Think Brando level scene-stealing good. You can't take your eyes off him.
A final note is that during the closing credits I realized that the exotic Mexican gypsy was played by Marlene Dietrich. I knew she looked familiar... Anyway, I think that's my first Marlene Dietrich movie, so bonus.
Final verdict. Not scary in any standard horrorthon sense, but pretty suspenseful and atmospheric. Totally worth seeing.

10 comments:

Landshark said...

Fuck. I wrote "it's awesomeness." I hate when my students do that.

Question: I notice that you guys don't ever embed youtube vids of trailers or scenes in your reviews. Is that a rule, or just something that you haven't done?

JPX said...

Awesome! I love film noir and last year watched between 50-100 of them. I have Touch of Evil but I've been saving it ro watch for reasons unknown. I'm so pleased to hear that it lives up to the hype. Have you seen Sunset Boulevard?

We used to imbed trailers but then it stopped working. If you're able to do so by all means add trailers. I think every review should have the trailer.

Landshark said...

Cool. I was a little nervous that A) film noir was pushing the boundaries of "horror" too far, and B)that I'd come off as some pretentious douchebag for picking an Orson Welles classic as my first Horrothon entry.

Phew.

I did watch Sunsent Blvd and loved it. This is on par with that, I'd say. In fact, I almost referenced that shot of the body floating in the pool in my review. When I saw that in Sunsent, I remember thinking two things: "Whoa great shot." And "Man I've seen that copied tons of times."

That's the feeling you get a lot watching Touch of Evil. Scenes and shots that seem familiar, and you realize the impact that Welles has had on future directors.

DKC said...

Very cool! Another area of film I have not explored. Clearly I need to, for "it's awesomeness" alone!

Johnny Sweatpants said...

Welcome to the fray Landshark! Damn, it's barely 10/1 and the newbies are already poised to kick the veterans' collective asses...

miko564 said...

LS, I think the "it's awesomeness" counteracted any risk of "douchebagness" quite nicely.

Amazing, isn't it? The whitest man alive and a fucking GERMAN playing Mexicans. (The red paint totally screams Latino.) Can you imagine trying to get away with that now? The director would be lynched...

On a personal note, fuck, I forgot you are a college professor. My unedumacated ass was already spellchecking and editing the shit out of my posts knowing a:

1)Former Editor
2)Screenwriter/Teacher
3)Published Author/Encyclopedia
4)Dr.
5)'Nother Dr.
were all reading them. Now I add a fucking professor... *sigh*

Have I ever mentioned I shoot guns REALLY well? (That's all I got.)

JPX said...

Miko, I long ago accepted that my ability to write pales in comparison to the likes of this bunch. Every single time I hit publish I imagine Jordan rolling his eyes, or worse, Octo publically correcting me =) Now we have a professor reading this stuff as well - talk about intimidating. At least I can't see them when I put stuff up!

Johnny Sweatpants said...

Yeah Landshark, quit judging us! We be doing the best we can.

Miko - "unedumacated" is my new favorite word!

Octopunk said...

Cool pick, Landshark! I've seen the opening shot of this movie, and for some reason that's it. It's fantastic, like you say.

Miko, our abilities to write will pale to insignificance while we crouch behind you and watch you pick off the undead in the inevitable zompocalypse, so you're good.

Heh heh. Zompocalypse.

Whirlygirl said...

I'll be sure to check out all movies reviewed receiving five stars, definitely including this one.

BTW, Landshark, I love your avatar.

...and don't judge me, please.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...