Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Homebodies

(1974) ****



OOOOOOOOOOOBAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!! (Had to get that out of my system.) *Clears throat*

Homebodies is one of my personal favorites because a) it's unlike anything else out there and d) I find elderly people amusing and endearing. (I'll spare you reasons b & c.) The plot is driven by a lovable group of stubborn cottonheads who refuse to move out of their condemned apartment building. They've lived there for decades and are simply too old and set in their ways to adjust to a new living space.

"We've moved out thousands of old people like you," proclaims the bitchy state worker without a trace of sympathy. "What makes you think you're any different?" A good question - one that is soon answered with a large kitchen knife.

The colorful cast includes blind Mr. Blakely who has every inch of the building memorized, Miss Emily the shut-in and Mr. Loomis the hard working Superintendent who continues to paint the hallways in spite of the scheduled wrecking ball. And then there's Mattie. Don't let the frailness fool you. Mattie is one persuasive and mean spirited old bitty. In the opening scene she sits back with a bag of prunes and watches intently as a construction worker plummets to his death from an accident involving a steel beam. Surely she couldn't possibly have had anything to do with the accident, right?

I won’t spoil any more of the fun. If I haven’t convinced you of this movie’s greatness yet then perhaps the following four words will: elderly paddle boat chase. Go out and rent this one immediately. Oh wait, it’s not available. Haha suckers! Can’t have my copy.

9 comments:

nowandzen said...

Oh nooes. Looks like I got taken off the contributors list. :o

I had about 3 weeks of moving hell and have been in bed sick with some stomach virus for a week. I just got ready to post my first entry and I have been removed. :(

It's ok, I'll still drop by and see what you all are up to from time to time. My email is openwaters@gmail.com if anyone ever wants to chat.

Take care,

Zen

Johnny Sweatpants said...

Sorry Nowandzen. Blame JPX for that one. He gets quite outraged when contributors don't contribute. I believe his words were "If you don't post, you become a ghost" or something along those lines. Anyway I sent you another invite and I'm sure we'd all love to hear from you.

nowandzen said...

Damn JPX! :) I'll contribute, just been out of the mix with the move then a plague of sickness going through all my kids then finally landing on me. And I was eating oatmeal, blueberries and flax seed too! Not fair!

Anyway I'll do my best to make meaningful contributions now that things are smoothing out a bit.

Thanks Johnny.

Johnny Sweatpants said...

I suspect you're not eating enough vegetables. (I say that to everybody who tells me they're sick. 9 out of 10 times I'm right.)

JPX said...

Hey, I just caught this exchange. I don't seem to recall owning a droid. I mean I don't seem to recall ordering a Nowandzen removal. Actually, we recently noticed that a few names on the contribution list did not seem to be on the blog so we removed them just to clean things up. No offense meant =)

nowandzen said...

none taken JPX. :) I'll type more I promise. :p

Johnny, I have been eating veggies like there is no tomorrow. I eat lots of veggies and fruit. Somehow I caught what my doc called a stomach infection anyway. Maybe from a renegade piece of broccoli?

Whirlygirl said...

I demand that you send me a copy!

Octopunk said...

I've just made it my mission to find my own copy for next year's Horrorthon. Nyah!

Catfreeek said...

I already found a copy, I had to. No way JSP is gonna tell us we can't watch it. Next year we should just pass the film between us and all review it.Ha!

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...