Sunday, November 09, 2008

Star Trek Trailer - Spy Reports!



Even though I'm not a huge Star Trek fan, I am excited about the new movies potential. I think it has a lot to do with J.J. and the early trailer. Apparently it was shown all over Paramount recently and is due for the rest of us with the release of Quantum of Solace. The spy report, which lets face it there is about a 98% chance any spy report will be glowing, gets all gooey about the trailer.

There is an additional spy report at aintitcool.com, here is one:

Hello,

I have never written into you guys before but I was just too excited not to. I recently got a job on the lot at Paramount and was fortunate enough to get to see the trailer for JJ's Star Trek (i'm not special, it's playing on a loop in the Paramount theater).

Anyways, I can't say enough good things about it. I'll give you a quick rundown;

We start out with a muscle car tearing ass down a dirt road. Eventually it careens off a cliff, but not before the driver jets himself out - he's a young boy, couldn't be older than 11. Suddenly what I can only describe as a space-cop asks him, "what is your name sir?" The young boy replies, "James Tiberius Kirk."

Then Chris Pine takes over as we see him being angsty, driving down the road on a motorcycle. We hear some voice over from someone else that confirms his angst saying things like, "You've never really been happy have you?" and etc. Then we see him drive up what looks like a smelting factory - probably more of that ship construction we got in the earlier trailer.

Then we really kick into trailer mode as we get quick images of Spock as a kid. Spock all grown up. Leonard Nimoy. A vulcan council. Space cadets. And the crew alone with some quick, flashy space fighting.

There were two many images after that to describe but I can just tell you that it's extremely exciting. It's the most visually dynamic thing J.J.'s ever done. Lots of great shots, and cool camera moves, just in the trailer. There was even a little quip from Simon Pegg. And some sex thrown in for good measure. Eric Bana also joins the long list of great actors who are happy to chew scenery as a Star Trek villain. The only thing I wanted more of is Karl Urban. He was the most inspired casting IMO and he only gets a quick nod in the trailer. As I said, all in all it's really cool and I think you guys are all gonna geek out big time when it's released. To finish, I'll just say, it feels like what we WANTED when the new Star Wars movies were released - something old and nostalgic getting pushed to greater, more dynamic storytelling by improved technology.

Thanks



So if you're going to see Quantum, enjoy.

4 comments:

Landshark said...

Cool, I want to see this one. Though J.J.'s newest project Fringe has been a buzzkill. Even beyond giving Pacey a leading role, just horrible scripts.

nowandzen said...

Haven't heard of that one. Is it out already? Yes I'm definitely not on the JJ express, I'm just in the lets wait and see mode after seeing Cloverfield and really enjoying that.

Landshark said...

Fringe? Man, you HAVE been busy this month. It's his new show. Basically a straight up X-Files ripoff with Pacey of Dawson's Creek in an incredibly annoying starring role. K and I gave it maybe 4 episodes before giving up.

nowandzen said...

Oh ya, that's right. Seriously I have been away from the boob toob for a while. Usually just catch Bill Maher and an occasional Daily Show.

Anyway, sounds bad. At least Josh has something coming up soon, Dollhouse I think.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...