Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Mad Cowgirl

(2006) ***

Therese is just your average hometown beef-loving girl. She works as a health inspector and is having an affair with a married reverend that does a local access TV show. She is having strange visions and massive headaches so she sees her doctor and finds out she has a brain tumor. In the midst of all this the TV is riddled with news reports of mad cow disease that has now shown up in Canadian beef, a little too close to home. She visits her brother’s meat packing plant and discovers that he has taken in and given her part of a shipment of tainted Canadian beef. She’s already eaten the steaks and on top of her vision-inducing tumor she now starts to experience symptoms of mad cow.

Her life is just spinning out of control, the reverend dumps her, numerous ex-boyfriends are hounding her, and she has a weird sexual encounter with the priest whose confessional she has been frequenting. Therese really loses it when the mad cow and the tumor begin to blur the lines of vision and reality and that reality is quite violent.

This has to be one of the weirdest movies I’ve ever seen. Walter Koenig takes a break from his Star Trek fame and appears as the nasty cheating reverend. I have to say it was very disturbing to me seeing an aging Chekov’s orgasm face. Not good, at all! The visuals in this film are so surreal that half the time you’re not quite sure what is really happening.

Therese also has a disturbingly close relationship with her brother, and I emphasize the disturbing factor here. It took a long time to build up to her violent snap and the build up was extremely weird. The film constantly shoves visuals of raw beef, sizzling beef and Therese animalistically eating beef in our faces. By the end of the film I felt like if I saw another steak I would vomit. By now you’re probably wondering why I gave it 3 stars. Well, all in all I liked the weird surrealness of the film. Maybe I just like weird movies but this was definitely original and I have to give kudos for having a fresh new idea. Also, the violent pay off was pretty darn good.

4 comments:

Octopunk said...

Her brother has Mad Emo Hair Disease.

I know it's been said, Catfreeek, but your ability to root out bizarre unknown horror flicks is outstanding. I wonder if I'd heard of half the stuff you've presented before this month.

It's also heartwarming, considering the number of times I've mentioned an upcoming Horrorthon and someone says "haven't you guys watched all the horror movies by now?"

Catfreeek said...

Aaaaww thanks Octo, that's my job, to root out the bizarre and unknown for the sake of the Thon!!

JPX said...

All the picture look like their were taken on the same set!

"haven't you guys watched all the horror movies by now?"

That comment still makes me laugh. By time October 31st rolled around this year I was sad because there were a bunch more I wanted to get to (I'm talking to you Puppet Master sequels 2-9!).

Octopunk said...

Oh yeah, I'm so sure you're bummed about sequels two through NINE. There's your starting lineup for next year.

Mad Cowgirl's kinda hot.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...