Friday, November 07, 2008

The return of music Friday: Vampire Weekend

I'd read really good things about these guys a few months ago and then happened across this (their debut cd) in the library late in the summer, and ever since I've been hooked.

via Amazon: "It would take a lot for Vampire Weekend's debut to rise above the stench of privileged hype that surrounds it. A bunch of kids who formed the band in their Columbia dorm room borrow wholesale from Afrobeat and angular '80s stuff, and they quickly become an online buzz band before releasing a single album? Thankfully the record, and the band, are great fun: playful, pop-wise, and smart enough to pull their shtick off with aplomb."

Listening to them will definitely bring to mind Simon's Graceland or plenty of David Byrne/Talking Heads stuff (also Police, Peter Gabriel, and a host of others) but all with a modern indie feel. I've been playing it pretty much nonstop and haven't gotten sick of it yet, so that's something.



A Punk


Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa

2 comments:

DKC said...

Cool, LS! I like the first song better then the second I think. Will definitely have desroc get me some of this...

Johnny Sweatpants said...

Welcome back music fridays! I'm glad you posted this Landhark. I had heard the name Vampire Weekend a few times but this is the first time I actually heard the music. I definitely hear Police & Talking Heads in the first song and Paul Simon in the latter.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...