Saturday, October 02, 2010

The Shining



(1980) *****

Jack Torrance is looking for a change of pace. He interviews for the post of winter caretaker at the Overlook Hotel, situated in a remote but beautiful part of the Rocky Mountains. During his interview Jack hears about the isolation inherent in the job, finds out that the hotel was built on a Native American burial ground, and is informed that a prior caretaker murdered his family and committed suicide. Jack accepts the job, and relocates with wife Wendy and son Danny. He's hoping to get some writing done, and believes the isolation and quiet will suit his purpose admirably.

Sometimes I find myself relatively unimpressed by horror classics, but this film is really a masterpiece. The acting, visuals, and sound work seamlessly to build layers of creepiness, tension, and horror throughout the film. I've seen The Shining many times, but found myself viscerally uncomfortable for much of the viewing experience, always a good sign. This was the perfect kickoff to Horrorthon 2010. Not sure about whether to bother with the 1997 TV series... has anyone seen it?

11 comments:

Octopunk said...

I saw pieces of the TV version when it first aired, and it was enough to convince me not to bother. The guy from Wings vs. Jack Nicholson? Puh-lease.

(I've heard King likes it better, because it sticks closer to the book, but so what. Despite being a master storyteller in print, he has a weird blind spot for making horror cinema.)

Side note: anyone besides me annoyed at imdb's new format? The constant urgency to update web formats is my least favorite thing about the internet. Get off my lawn!

The Mr. said...

Loved the movie and have read the novel over and over since I was a tween, lots of great stuff between the two!

DKC said...

A movie that will always creep me out. I don't know why anyone would be willing to try to play Jack Torrance after Jack Nicholson. Puh-lease is right.

JPX said...

I watched the television remake and it was an abomination. It still goes up my ass to this day that Stephen King denounces this film. It makes me lose a little rspect for him.

Nice summary AC. I find it painful to have to summarize something we've all seen many times. I watched one such film the other night and I still can't bring myself to review it.

So Mr. AC watched this as well? Are we going to be getting his review soon?

Whirlygirl said...

I haven't seen this in years. It's to the point where I just about remember it. I think might be inspired to watch it this year.

Landshark said...

Yeah, I need to see this one again too. Nice pick to start off, AC.

Catfreeek said...

I've seen the remake as well, terrible. It does however stick more closely to the book but the casting is atrocious. King didn't like Nicholson in the role because he felt he appeared too crazy from the jump. I think Kubrick was a genius.

Great review of this classic, it still gives me the willies too. That damn woman in the bathtub!

Octo, I hate the new format as well.

Catfreeek said...

Oh and let's not forget to mention Shelley Duvall. She plays weak and fargile Wendy like nobody's business.

Catfreeek said...

fragile...oops :)

AC said...

thanks for the warnings, gang, mr. ac and i will steer clear of the tv version!

50PageMcGee said...

the trivia section for the Shining on IMDb (if you can find the damn link -- ditto octo's complaints about the new format) is filled with great stuff.

two of my favorite details

1) for the international releases the "all work and no play make jack a dull boy" pages were translated, language specific to the country of release. i.e. for the Italian release, "Il mattino ha l' oro in bocca" ("He who wakes up early meets a golden day")

2) kubrick used to berate shelley duvall loudly in front of the entire cast and crew, all the time and for unpredictable reasons, just so she'd look more haggard onscreen

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...