Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Only Lovers Left Alive

(2013)***1/2

Trevor recommended this melancholy vampire love story to me, I thought it was great. Adam and Eve are a centuries old vampire couple who have been living separately for some time. Adam is a talented but depressed musician. Eve travels to Detroit to reunite with him but their bliss is interrupted by Eve's rambunctious and troublesome sister Ava.

Doesn't sound like much of a plot does it? It really is that simple but the film is elegantly done. It addresses centuries old vampires living in a modern day scenario in a much more realistic manner. They cannot just go about killing people because modern investigative techniques would present a real problem for them. They reminisce about the old days when they could just go out for a meal and they had plenty of places where they could dump the bodies. Instead they are resigned to bribing hospital blood bank employees and such to keep themselves fed. I also loved the music that was featured in the film, it was the perfect complement to Adams somber mood. More drama then horror, OLLA is a real different view of the vampire genre. No daylight vamps or twinkling in this film.

7 comments:

Johnny Sweatpants said...

You lost me at "melancholy vampire love story"! That's good that they approached the vampire mythos in a realistic way but I will never see this movie ever!

DKC said...

Sounds interesting but probably not one that I'll throw on this year's list.

Mr. AC said...

Makes it sound like being a vampire isn't all it's cracked up to be. I want to be a Lost Boys vampire, riding around on my motorcycle and picking people off indiscriminately. :-E

Trevor said...

First, I like that the review starts off with "Trevor...". That's a horrorthon first for me. Thanks for the shout out.

Second, don't think love story like Twilight love story. This is a couple that has been together for hundreds of years. A lot of this story is about coping with the inner horror of keeping life interesting after being alive that long. And Tom Hiddleston is perfect for this role - very fun to watch.

Trevor said...

And, this next comment doesn't belong posted with this film, but I'm kind of amazed that none of the twilight movies have ever been reviewed. Weren't there 5 of them? And they made billions, right? That's kind of strange, but kind of telling at the same time. And no, I'm not volunteering to do the marathon.

Catfreeek said...

I tried to watch a twilight film really I did but when the vampire started twinkling in the sun I was out.

AC said...

This one sounds like it brings a certain realism to the genre.

Great point about Twilight, Trevor! I think someone (not me) should go for it next year.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...