Sunday, October 12, 2014

Hellraiser

(1987) ***1/2


Larry and Julia move into Larry's old family home, only to unintentionally call back into rudimentary corporeal being Larry's brother Frank, with whom Julia had an affair years ago.  Frank's obsession with the extremes of human experience had brought him to a puzzle box that is the entryway to the realm of the Cenobites, who teach him more than he ever wanted to know about pain. Frank's return, despite his slimy and hideous state, reignites the old flame, and Julia  quickly falls in with the murderous plans necessary to restore Frank completely.  Larry's daughter Kirsty is not a fan of Julia, and is concerned about her dad, rightfully so.

What a fun movie, part of my continuing effort to catch up on horror basics.  A relatively original and energetic film, with a great 80s look, I would recommend it for anyone who's comfortable with copious gore.

7 comments:

Catfreeek said...

I am so impressed by your capacity for gore this year.

JPX said...

Holy cow, AC watched Hellraiser??? I second Catfreeek's comment! Hellraiser II is my favorite installment...

DKC said...

I remember watching this back in the day. And I third Cat's comment! You are making some bold choices, AC!

Landshark said...

Wow. I've never watched this one either. It's like you're throwing the gauntlet down.

Johnny Sweatpants said...

Hell yeah AC! You have ta, HAVE TA watch Hellraiser II, the rest you can skip IMO.

AC said...

Thanks! There's still plenty of stuff I won't watch, but Hellraiser is such a basic, I didn't want to wimp out.

JSP, I do plan to watch II but not the rest.

tedes said...

click reference Ysl replica i was reading this replica wallets click for info buy replica bags

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...