Sunday, October 19, 2014

The Crawling Eye

Here's lookin' at you kid.
(1958) ***1/2

A mysterious radioactive cloud passes over a mountain possessing the minds of some mountaineers. The end result is a series of decapitations and the hustle to get everyone out alive before anyone else loses their head.

This is serious business you know, veeeeery serious indeed.
Oh! My! Gooooood! It saw me naked!
The Crawling Eye is a classic 50's horror film, meaning all the men wore high waisted pants and the women never put up a fight. I can imagine it being terrifying back in the 50's but now, as with most of the B films from this era, they are more amusing than horrifying. It's great to see everyone panicked and serious, running around terrified of something that is just more funny than scary. If you're a fan of these old films like I am you will love it.

6 comments:

Landshark said...

Awesome first photo. I could have sworn I'd seen that image before, but it doesn't look like any thonners have reviewed this one before. This joins The Crawling Hand on the Monster List though. I see a fun crawling subgenre being built.

JPX said...

I've never heard of this but I can tell by your funny review that I would love it!

Johnny Sweatpants said...

I'm gonna hold out for The Crawling Nose.

Catfreeek said...

You laugh but we saw the film at Rock N Shock that was titled nose picker.

AC said...

Sounds delightful.

Octopunk said...

This flick was the subject of the very first MST3K episode on Comedy Central, and that initial image is in the opening title sequence for several seasons thereafter. You might recognize it from that, Landshark.

I think this movie could have a worthy remake.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...