Sunday, October 26, 2014

Housebound

(2014) ****

After multiple attempts at reform have failed, Kylie is sentenced to home detention in her childhood house, now inhabited by her mom and stepfather.  Her pleasant, slightly dotty mom believes the house is haunted.  Kylie is irritated and skeptical, until unexplained events begin to pique her curiosity.

Mr. AC found this delightful horror-comedy gem from New Zealand.  It delivers genuine scares along with consistent wry humor.  The protagonist is initially unlikable, but earns our sympathy as the mysteries of the house begin to unfold.  Thoroughly satisfying.

5 comments:

JPX said...

They sounds EXACTLY like the kind of horror movie I like - nice discovery, guys! I'm going to put it on deck after I finish VHS: Viral (Mr. AC. I only watched the first story about the magician and I like it so far...)

Catfreeek said...

Yeah, I'm in too!

Mr. AC said...

JPX, the magician story was fun. Looking forward to hearing what you thought of the other segments.

DKC said...

Sounds great to me!

Octopunk said...

The worst part about this premise is that it would hard to get any sleep...

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...