Tuesday, October 28, 2014

House on Haunted Hill

(1959) ***

In what might be a precursor to movies like 13 Sins and Cheap Thrills, five people are invited to spend the night in a haunted house.  If they make it through their host will give them each $10,000.  I am pro Vincent Price so I got a kick out of his performance.  I can admit, however, that his smarm is a little much sometimes in this movie.  The interaction with his wife was excellent though, and showed the mean streak beneath the calm, creepy demeanor.

I figured this would be a good, quick (75 minutes!) flick to get me back into watching movies.  I knew it wouldn't be anything too scary, despite one real jump-worthy character's appearance.  Other then that, it's pretty tame stuff.  I also felt that the ending was pretty ambiguous.  Lots of unanswered questions! Recommended if you're a Price fan and enjoy this kind "horror."  However I think there are films out there that showcase him better and are more successfully creepy.

5 comments:

Catfreeek said...

I love him no matter what he's in, a Price pick is always the right pick in my book.

Johnny Sweatpants said...

I completely agree with your take on this film, and Vincent Price. This is an undeniably fun movie.

JPX said...

I love this movie (Octo doesn't for some reason, whatajerk) and as you note there is one genuine "scare"!

AC said...

great review dcd! love your blog crush on vincent price.

Octopunk said...

Heyyyyyyy, I think I'm being misrepresented here. I'll admit the goof factor in this flick was a bit of a mood-killer when I saw it, but jesus that old lady! She's like a dead witch on a skateboard! Turned my blood to ice, she did.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...