Friday, October 24, 2014

Tentacles

(1977)
*****!

okay, really: *

After the box office success of Jaws in '76, the West Coast figured they needed a monster in the water movie too!  So, an octopus starts killing people, some try to deny it, and eventually, they go to take care of it at the end.

The similarities to Jaws range from the character grouping, motivations to hide the truth, even the score.  The poor man's John Williams here wrote five notes to rival the two notes of Jaws' famous theme.  There's only one reason I watched this film - it was filmed in San Diego.  It does a great job of showing off late '70s San Diego.  One can totally see Ron Burgundy wandering into a scene to wrestle with the octopus. 

And finally, this movie in a way, gets 5 stars for this shot, right here...

Circled in the corner is my late Grandfather's condo.  I spent countless Sundays there watching football, as well as many Thanksgivings, birthdays, etc.  And I just discovered that it was in a horror movie.  That's pretty cool, even if it is a cheap Jaws ripoff.

6 comments:

AC said...

Super cool! Your grandfather's condo being in the shot, I mean, not the stinker of a movie.

Octopunk said...

Awesome awesome AWESOME!! I'm crazy jealous.

I remember seeing adds for this movie when it was in theaters, but I've never had the pleasure.

Catfreeek said...

I totally forgot about this film, I think o need to see it again just cause it's the 70's and its a giant octopus and your grandfather's condo is in it!

Johnny Sweatpants said...

I can't think of anything cooler!

DKC said...

Yeah! That is totally cool, Trevor!

JPX said...

This sounds perfect for me, Trevor! Somehow I missed this one and the fact that your history is right there in the celluloid is icing on the cake!

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...