Sunday, October 12, 2014

The Quiet Ones

 (2014)***

This British film is inspired by actual events. In 1974, Oxford Professor Joseph Coupland experiments on a young woman named Jane Harper. Accompanied by a nurse and two student assistants they attempt to cure Jane from what is believed to be a fictitious possession. Jane believes she is possessed by a creepy old doll named Evey. Proffessor Coupland takes the troupe to an old remote house where he can attempt his treatment uninterrupted. Strange and unexplainable things begin to happen and before long they realize Evey is far too much for them to handle.


There are many mixed reviews out there for this film. I am a sucker for a good possession story or an intriguing ghost story. This scratches the itch for the most part but unfortunately it just wasn't very scary.   It made me more interested in looking up the original case which was far from this beaten path. The film has a lot of potential and it did hold my attention throughout. I enjoyed the repetitive playing of the original 1973 release of Cum on Feel the Noize by Slade, sounds almost identical to Quiet Riot's 1980 remake.  I can't quite put a finger on why exactly the film didn't really fully work. Maybe it was the promiscuous nurse who caused distraction or could be that Jane looked a little too much like Christina Ricci. Anyway, the film is an okay watch and with a PG-13 rating rest assured it is biddy safe as well.

3 comments:

JPX said...

I wanted to watch this but your review give me pause. She does look like Christina Ricci! I think I'll skip for now. I had no idea that Cum on Feel the Noise was a remake!

DKC said...

Pretty much ditto on all that JPX said...

AC said...

another missable one.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...