Sunday, October 26, 2014

Sin City

(2005) ****1/2

Rogues, thieves, cops, prostitutes, and murderers populate interlocking tales of mayhem, revenge, and redemption in and around Basin City.

Sin City's never been written up on the blog, and though it is noir rather than horror, I think it has enough horror elements (cannabalism, torture, gore, high body count) to be worth discussing here.  Well-cast and visually sumptuous, this faithful adaptation of three of Frank Miller's graphic novels is an over-the-top, ultraviolent thriller. It's one of those movies I can see repeatedly and never tire of; hope and assume I'm not the only fan?

4 comments:

Catfreeek said...

Frank Miller is one of my favorites I was a long time fan of the Sin City comic books. I love this first film and have been looking forward to the second one which is coming out on DVD in November. I do not have high hopes for it it had really bad reviews and was out of the theaters faster than I was able to get there to see it.

DKC said...

I really enjoyed this as well. I have not see the second one either - and also heard of it's terrible reviews. I'm sure you'll get to it before I do, Cat, so I'll be interested to hear what you think!

Landshark said...

I probably should give this one another chance. I've never been able to stick with it beyond 10 minutes. Loved Miller's Dark Knight and Daredevil/Electra stuff back in the 80s.

Octopunk said...

What an excellent Horrorthon entry!

I love this flick and I've been formulating a theory that might explain why the sequel is getting so pooped upon (it may suck; I haven't seen it). Theory is that movies like this and Sky Captain and Speed Racer just don't work.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...