Sunday, October 05, 2008

Gwai wik (Re-Cycle)

(2006) ****

Ting -Yin is a successful writer whose just had her first novel adapted for screen. The film was so well loved that fans are anxious for her to complete her new novel Gwai wik (Re-Cycle). This is to be a ghostly tale of reincarnation. She slips off to her quiet home and begins writing. Strange things begin to happen. She sees a shadowy figure and when she goes to investigate she finds strands of long hair on the counter. She tells her friend what happened and is warned that if you write about spirits they will be awakened. She doesn't heed the warning and continues to write her story. Strange occurances continue to happen until Ting-Yin is suddenly whisked away from her reality.

She finds herself stranded in an alternate dimention. A world where all things abandoned are doomed to live for eternity. She is being taunted by some of her rejected characters when she finds 2 people willing to help her find the way back to her own world. The journey that follows is almost like a dark and disturbing version of the "Wizard of Oz" minus the ruby slippers and the flying monkeys.

The visuals in this film are intense and surreal. Like the scene pictured above that I found to be quite Escheresque.

The creatures she encounters are so strange and frightening. It's quite an odd movie altogether but still I was captivated by the macabre nature of her surroundings.


They used some real interesting visual effects that I had never seen before. There is this one
floating woman that is chasing her that really creeps me out. Maybe it's the fact that she has no face that does it. I thought it was an interesting & unique storyline and would recommend it as a must see even if it was only for the visual experience. It was another good choice for me, I think I'm on a roll.

11 comments:

JPX said...

I've had this in my queue since last year's contest, I'm so happy to hear it's good - nice review! Just when you think J-horror is played out we get some more surprises.

Catfreeek said...

I hope you get to it this year JPX I would love to hear your thoughts.

JPX said...

I moved it to the top of my queue based on your review!

miko564 said...

Cat, if Landshark ever does put together a Horror film class, I vote you as guest lecturer! You keep finding the diamonds...

Landshark said...

Those images are gorgeous.

Catfreeek said...

I hope so anyway, I'll wait to see what JPX thinks. 2 opinions are better than one *wink*

DKC said...

Wow - you are totally on a roll freeek! I think we are all getting some really good flicks for our lists.

I'm looking forward to getting home tomorrow night and really getting started on this contest! (Not that I'm going to get anywhere near the major participants - just don't want to be the lowest number!)

Whirlygirl said...

those pictures are freaking me out.

Octopunk said...

This looks really good. Those images are compelling.

Johnny Sweatpants said...

Great review, Catfreeek! Love the images. Yet another one to add to the list...

Johnny Sweatpants said...

What, this old thing?

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...