Sunday, October 05, 2008

I Am Legend



I Am Legend (2007) **** Four Stars

There are some fantastic reviews of this movie posted on last years Horrorthon, far better analysis than I could write, so brief synopsis and random thoughts.

Dr. Robert Neville (Will Smith) lives alone in the city of New York. Just he and his dog. We learn that the rest of humanity has died from a disease that was loosed on the world after a cancer vaccine went horribly wrong. Well...not ALL of humanity. We learn 90% of people who contracted the disease died, the other 10% turned into Zombie-like creatures, who are hurt by sunlight (and bright lights).
So, Dr. Neville has a daily routine, including hunting and picking up videos at the abandoned video store...oh, and trying to come up with a cure for the disease we learn, HE invented. At night, he and the dog sleep in the bathtub, inside a steel-shuttered apartment, as the formerly-human creatures own the night.

Random Thoughts:

-Instead of seeing the immediate after-effects of the release of the disease, like in every other movie, we join Neville 3 years after the world went to hell. Very cool.

-With the exception of The Wild Wild West, I don't think I have every disliked a Will Smith vehicle. Is there a more likable/watchable star on earth?

-Kudos once again to one of our own. Handsome Stan and crew pulled off a miracle by making NYC look empty. At 2:40AM, on a Sunday, recently, I saw 100's of people on the street outside my hotel.

-It made you wonder, at the end of the movie, did Neville realize the zombie/man was never going to give up trying to get his chick back?

-Is there any animal on earth more regal looking than a German Shepherd?

That's it, this was a very good movie, but I don't want to reveal too many plot-points in case anyone hasn't seen it.

8 comments:

Landshark said...

Point taken re: Smith, but Bad Boys was unwatchable.

Glad you liked this flick though, and good to hear that other Horrorthoners did too. I hadn't really heard much about it, but the wife and I finally got around to watching it this summer--really good stuff.

AC said...

i haven't seen it, miko, but based on your review i will add it to my list for the month.

Catfreeek said...

I liked I am Legend, last year me & the hubby decided to watch all three versions of this book to film after reading the book and here's what we concluded.

"The Last Man on Earth" -Followed closest to the actual story and the acting (Vincent Price) was far superior to any other version.

"The Omega Man" -very entertaining and well acted (Charlton Heston) but the visual effects were so bad they were almost comical.

"I Am Legend" -furthest from the actual story but the background on the character was more interesting than the original story.

Ultimately, we liked them all for their own uniqueness.

miko564 said...

I will try to get to the other two this month Cat.

Yeah AC, this is a good one.

Shark, I was OK (not good, but more because of Martin Lawrence than WS) with the first Bad Boys, but you are 100% right in regards to BB2. Good catch.

The Mr. said...

ah... I kind of expected more, maybe in a Will Smith over the top way I guess. wasn't satisfied with the almost non ending...kinda like thats it? thats all I get? I definitely hugged Miso afterward

DKC said...

Yeah, I didn't love this either. Thought it had it goods moments, but too damn sad for me in parts.

Octopunk said...

The ending of this was changed! The original ending is on the dvd (and online) and makes a hell of a lot more sense.

I also hated Bad Boys, but it was all about Martin Lawrence and lousy action choreography. I still want to check out BB2 for that car chase.

miko564 said...

Yeah, you're right on the choreography Octo! I never thought of it using that term, but it was really all over the place action-wise. I hate action scenes when you can't tell who is hitting/shooting who.
I would use scene selection and go straight to the chase scene in BB2, then burn the disc. Even if it belongs to Netflix or Blockbuster...just burn the fucker.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...