Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Inferno

(1980) ****½

I decided to finish off my first day of Horrorthon with a classic from this master of macabre. After the painful experience of "The Creeps" I was counting on Dario Argento to recover the days efforts. As you can see I was not disappointed. Rose Elliot gets this book called "The Three Mothers" which tells a story of three evil and powerful sisters. She begins to notice similarities from the book and her real life home in New York. She becomes scared and writes a letter to her brother Mark, who is studying music in Rome, asking him to come to New York.

Mark's friend Sara finds the letter and reads it. She goes to a library and tries to snag a copy of the book. She's caught by a guy with the creepiest hands you've ever seen and after believing that she had narrowly escaped and was home safe she is killed.

Mark arrives in NYC only to discover that his sister is nowhere to be found. She'd been murdered. The suspense at this point has you gripping the edge of your seat and wanting answers so that's how I will leave this review as not to spoil it for anyone. This film gives you that uneasy, uncomfortable feeling from beginning to end. I loved every minute of it. Some notable death scenes are by cat attack and by rat attack. Great movie, Dario Argento at his finest.

7 comments:

miko564 said...

Catfreeek, were you aware of the death by cats prior to watching?

If not...then that's just weird...

AC said...

catfreek dear, are you gonna actually win horrorthon this year?

AC said...

i mean catfreeek

DKC said...

Wow, imagine if a newbie knocked the vets off their Horrorthon pedestal!

I decided at the end of last year that Argento would have to be on my list for 2008. My first viewing will have to wait until tomorrow night. I am nervously looking forward to it.

Great review, Freeek!

Octopunk said...

Can I assume the death by cat and rat didn't happen at the same time? They'd sort of cancel each other out.

Johnny Sweatpants said...

Wow Catfreeek! I remember this one as being very surreal and difficult to follow. I definitely need to give it another look. If I'm not mistaken the 3rd of the trilogy (Supsiria was the first) came out earlier this year.

Catfreeek said...

JSP~It was a bit difficult to follow at first but it all seemed to come together for me about 3/4 of the way in.

Miko~I had no idea there would be death by cat and the death by rat is a completely separate incident and it's kinda more like torture by rat leading to death.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...