Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Ravenous

(1999) **** 1/2

I’m definitely becoming a vegetarian again. Ravenous turned out to be a must-see treat, with a great cast, a sense of humor, some really disgusting scenes, a fast moving script, and a weirdly charming little electronic score. It was filmed in some part of Czechoslovakia that posed beautifully as the Sierra Nevada mountains, so the fantastic scenery didn’t hurt, and neither did the savvy editing.

It's the 1800s, and everything's rustic and everyone's dirty. Guy Pearce plays Boyd, a cowardly soldier sent to a lonely mountain outpost. One night, a stranger (Robert Carlyle) shows up emaciated, freezing, and freaked out, telling a story about a cannibal army officer gone wild. Hearing that there may be a survivor of the recent slaughter, Colonel Hart (Jeffrey Jones) leads the fort crew out to a spooky cave to fight the man-eaters. Unfortunately, things don’t go too well out there at the cave, and I won’t spoil the rest.

The main thing to know is that it seems human flesh is not only delicious but extremely nutritious, conveying extra energy, virility, self healing powers, and oh, also the combined strength of everybody you happen to eat. People meat is just so awesome that once you get a taste, you can't stop the craving. That's right. You become ravenous.

Highlights include one of my very favorite actors, Jeremy Davies, doing his usual mumbly schtick. If you’ve seen him act once, you’ve seen him act in everything, but I can’t seem to get tired of him. He plays a timid reverend at the fort. The rest of the rag tag bunch of victims—I mean soldiers—include the overly zealous Private Reich; the constantly soused doctor, Knox; and the peyote popping Private Cleaves (a great comic turn by David Arquette).

Seriously, this was a solid movie to start with and I can’t recommend it enough. I don’t quite understand the star system, because I don’t watch enough of the movies referenced to contextualize this one. But I knows what I likes!

And on a personal note, during the climactic scene, Z woke up, ravenous, and demanded a little of my flesh. So I felt connected to this movie in quite a visceral way.

8 comments:

miko564 said...

Julie, way to tie the magic of breastfeeding into a movie about cannibalism...well fuckin' done!

Landshark said...

Ooh, I've been meaning to see that.

AC said...

i love this movie!

Catfreeek said...

I loved it too, great pick and great review Julie.

Octopunk said...

Daaayyamn! Not only did my lady watch a whole horror movie AND review it before I've even gotten through thirty minutes of my first one, it's also a flick I've never seen.

Nice work, babe. It may interest you to know that reviews of Ravenous by Johnny Sweatpants and 50PageMcGee both featured the exact same rating.

DKC said...

Ooo, sounds like a good one. Great review!

Johnny Sweatpants said...

Well, well, well. If it isn't the Godless Mama herself...

Excellent review Julie! You know, the more distance I've had from this movie the more legendary it's become in my head. I'm glad to hear you were wowed as well.

JPX, what the hell are you waiting for? Watch this one already!

JPX said...

More validation that JPX needs to see this post haste! Nice review by the way - kick Octo's butt.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...