Thursday, October 02, 2008

Jigoku


(1960) ****

Shiro, a young grad student is out driving one night with his friend Tamura when they hit a drunken man who wanders into the road. Tamura refuses to stop and drives off instead. What follows is bizarre and chaotic collage of murder & complete mayhem. People are falling off bridges & shooting each other. Dead people are even showing up for a second crack at it. Shiro thinks the world has gone mad until he discovers that he is actually in hell.

Hell is apparently filled with crazy people, death, torture, a lake of blood and of course fire. The amount of violence and bloodshed in this film raised more than a few eyebrows for it's time. The scenes are colorful and I would dare to say it has a very poetic feel to it. Although confusing at times you still sympathize with Shiro as he agonizes through his penance.


I really liked the film but I would like to give fair warning to anyone who might want to experiment with psychedelics and then watch this movie to enjoy the pretty colors. The scenes are disturbing and freaky and after watching in such a state of mind you'd probably land on JPX's couch. This has got to be one of the most twisted and bizarre films that I've had the pleasure of viewing. Not for the easily confused and I'll tell ya if that's what hell is like, I'm being good from now on.

7 comments:

DKC said...

Yowza. Sounds freakalicious. Pulling another unknown out of her hat!

JPX said...

How is it I've never heard of this? Sounds awesome, nice!

Octopunk said...

You know... this just reminded me of a Japanese movie called Kaidan that I saw for a Japanese Literature and Film class. It's a three-story anthology movie made in 1964, and that's probably an sub-era we should explore more.

Jigoku sounds great! I love strange views of Hell.

miko564 said...

"Hell is apparently filled with crazy people, death, torture, a lake of blood and of course fire."

Hey, so is Philly!

Way to keep the lead with the obscure Cat.

JPX said...

Octo, Kaidan was great! It also boasts some nice opening credits.

Whirlygirl said...

Sounds great, Catfreek!

I might need to check out the version of hell in this movie so maybe I'll start being nicer to people.

Johnny Sweatpants said...

Love the pictures. Sounds f'in great to me!

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...