Monday, October 13, 2008

Tremors

(1990) **1/2

Fred Ward and Kevin Bacon play two handymen in a teeny tiny desert town. They are hoping to move on to bigger and better things, when their plans are thwarted by the arrival of several monstrous burrowing worms... you know, sorta like the monstrous burrowing worms in Dune. Can the townspeople defeat the giant worms, or will the worms destroy the town? I'll never tell.

Sigh, now I court Octo and Landshark's wrath (and presumably others) by not particularly enjoying this silly little movie. I know it was meant to be tongue-in-cheek, but the creatures weren't scary at all, and the humor wasn't sufficiently funny to make the movie. For a good funny-scary movie give me Sean of the Dead, or Scream, or Evil Dead II. I do stipulate that this movie may "grow on me" over time, but tonight's viewing yielded a resounding "meh."

5 comments:

JPX said...

I'm not sure that this film is as beloved as you might believe. I don't recall thinking that it was very good, but then again I haven't seen it in years. Good to have you back, ac, after a weekend of meditation you can get yourself all freaked out again.

Landshark said...

Nope, no wrath. I liked this one a good bit in a fun/camp way, but it's not one I own or am emotionally attached to. I didn't name all my pets after it or anything.

Catfreeek said...

My kids got addicted to the Tremors series for awhile. They watched them over & over like kids often do so I am totally burnt out on it. I think I might have liked this film a long time ago but it's hard to remember.

miko564 said...

AC, Sean OTD is superior. I think Tremors is best served with a group of people (intoxicated is best) who can make funny comments during the whole thing.

DKC said...

Welcome back, AC!

Ask LS what movie he did name his pets after...

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...