Thursday, October 02, 2008

Bubba Ho-tep

(2002) ***1/2

Well folks Elvis is not dead and JFK is hiding out disguised as a black dude. Where are they you ask? Why they are living quite comfortably at an east Texas nursing home. A stellar performance from Bruce Campbell, who doesn't love Bruce Campbell? He plays a grouchy old Elvis who switched places with an impersonator many years back to escape the life of fame. Ossie Davis plays Jack Kennedy who was dyed black and place in the home in hiding. Both men are feeling regrets from the decisions they made in their lives. They're bored and feeling useless they desperately need a purpose in life. Well, they get their wish in the form of an ancient mummy wearing cowboy boots and a pimp hat. The mummy is picking off the residents of the rest home one at a time, sucking their souls out to be trapped inside of him for eternity.


Our boys decide it's time to kick a little mummy ass and save the souls of their friends.

I found the characters to be very entertaining, right down to the sassy nurse who has to attend to the issue with Elvis' penis. Again, Bruce Campbell does a wonderful job portraying a cranky old Elvis. The only issue I had with this film was that it seemed to drag quite a bit at certain points. I would have preferred a little more action but then again, it does take place in a nursing home. How much action can there be? Overall it was pretty entertaining, a few chuckles and a creepy mummy that looks a little too much like post surgery Michael Jackson. I kept waiting for him to moonwalk.

5 comments:

Octopunk said...

I've only seen the first twenty minutes of this, but it's been on my list for years. The story of the Elvis switcheroo is pretty hilarious -- and actually it's pretty believable that being Elvis would suck after a while.

AC said...

i found this a fun little movie... and, as catfreeek says, who doesn't love bruce campbell?

miko564 said...

I have no idea when I would have seen this, but I did...hm.

I remember really liking this, it was the 1st thing I saw Campbell in after the Evil Dead series. Thanks for reminding me about this one Cat, I might have to revisit this.

Landshark said...

I was going to type this out, but copy/pasting octo works too: "I've only seen the first twenty minutes of this, but it's been on my list for years."

Whirlygirl said...

I love the sound of this movie.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...